• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations on Parking Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heather1

What is the name of your state? MA

I recently received a letter from the RMV stating that I have two outstanding parking tickets, one from June 2005 and the other from July 2004. I intend to re-pay the one from 2005; although I believe I paid it at the time, I don't have any record of this. I do, however, have record of my having paid the July 2004 ticket (it's noted in my checkbook.). The bank claims the check number never posted to my account, so it seems the parking office never received it, although I clearly mailed a check.

The letter from the RMV states I cannot renew my registration until tickets are paid. However, the plates on which I received tickets were turned in some time ago (I have the receipt), and I now drive a different car with a new plate. So, I will need to mail the RMV a letter, as well, once this is all taken care of.

Is there a statute of limitations on parking tickets? The letter I received is from the RMV, who, when I called, redirected me to the individual city who issued the tickets. Obviously, I will have to pay the tickets since my bank has no record of my having paid them, but I wonder if there is a statute of limitations that might excuse me.

Thank you!

seniorjudge

heather1 said:
What is the name of your state? MA

I recently received a letter from the RMV stating that I have two outstanding parking tickets, one from June 2005 and the other from July 2004. I intend to re-pay the one from 2005; although I believe I paid it at the time, I don't have any record of this. I do, however, have record of my having paid the July 2004 ticket (it's noted in my checkbook.). The bank claims the check number never posted to my account, so it seems the parking office never received it, although I clearly mailed a check.

The letter from the RMV states I cannot renew my registration until tickets are paid. However, the plates on which I received tickets were turned in some time ago (I have the receipt), and I now drive a different car with a new plate. So, I will need to mail the RMV a letter, as well, once this is all taken care of.

Is there a statute of limitations on parking tickets? The letter I received is from the RMV, who, when I called, redirected me to the individual city who issued the tickets. Obviously, I will have to pay the tickets since my bank has no record of my having paid them, but I wonder if there is a statute of limitations that might excuse me.

Thank you!

Q: Is there a statute of limitations on parking tickets?

A: Yes, but it is irrelevant in your case. The statute stopped running the day you got the tickets. Pay them. You have no defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">