• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations on traffic tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wiseguy

What is the name of your state? West Virginia
Nearly ten years ago my drivers license was suspended for non payment of traffic tickets (non moving violations). I am thinking of reapplying for a license and was wondering if there is a statute of limitations on these fines or if they are removed from my record after a certain amount of time.What is the name of your state?

You Are Guilty

wiseguy said:
What is the name of your state? West Virginia
Nearly ten years ago my drivers license was suspended for non payment of traffic tickets (non moving violations). I am thinking of reapplying for a license and was wondering if there is a statute of limitations on these fines or if they are removed from my record after a certain amount of time.What is the name of your state?
The good news is yes there is. The bad news is that it's 60,000 years (my estimate for the end of the world).

PS: You're on the hook - the original fines, the late fees and the penalties for 9+ years. Might want to start saving.

The Occultist

Statute of Limitations refers to the amount of time between when the crime was committed and when charges were brought against you. You have alread been charged (hence the fines you have to pay to get your license back), so SoL does not apply.

YAG, love the estimate! :p

wiseguy

The bad news is that it's 60,000 years
Drat, if it were only 40,000 years I'd wait. Anyway, the reason I was wondering about this is that many years ago (in the 70's) I was involved in a one car accident where I took out several feet of guardrail. Even though I could prove that the accident was caused by mechanical failure (rear break line ruptured) I was charged with failure to control my vehicle and ordered to pay for replacement of the guardrail. I refused to pay the fine or for the guardrail replacement and a few months later my license was suspended. Two years later I went to apply for a new drivers license, just to see what would happen, and it was granted with no problem.

You Are Guilty

Just because they don't expire (the Statute of Limitations refers to a totally different time period - the time between you committing the offense and the time when you get the ticket), doesn't mean that they don't "disappear" on their own (gotta love DMV efficiency).

Of course, they also have a nasty tendency to "reappear", very unexpectedly, so don't be surprised if your next renewal comes with a hefty bill.

Incidentally, it doesn't matter why you hit the guardrail - you still hit it (i.e. you weren't pushed). That's why they billed you.

patstew

You Are Guilty said:
Just because they don't expire (the Statute of Limitations refers to a totally different time period - the time between you committing the offense and the time when you get the ticket), doesn't mean that they don't "disappear" on their own (gotta love DMV efficiency).

Of course, they also have a nasty tendency to "reappear", very unexpectedly, so don't be surprised if your next renewal comes with a hefty bill.
As an added FYI, my state DMV (which previously kept active records for only 18 months) has recently been adding back in old license plates that people had years ago. It's my understanding that the current trend is no longer to let things drop off the database after a certain number of years.

Makes for some interesting surprises for some people who thought they were off the hook.
:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">