• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Street sign regulations in Los Angeles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agaliarept

State: California
City: Los Angeles

I am trying to find regulations specifying where no parking signs can be posted and how far those signs are valid. I was ticketed for a "No Parking 2AM to 6AM". The visible sign in front of the car stated "No Parking Thursdays 10 AM to NOON" and are repeated several times before the end of the block. The non-visible sign behind the vehicle was the one on the citation and was not posted anywhere in front of the vehicle. The citation occurred on a Monday morning. After contesting the ticket by mail, I received some vague information with the following statements being pertinent:

1. Los Angeles Municiple Code Section 80.10 provides that posted or marked parking restrictions are not enforce if "at the time and place of the alleged violation, an official sign or marking is not in place and sufficiently legible and visible to be seen by an ordinary observant person."

2. The California Vehicle Code (CVC) has no general signage requirement, but CVC Section 22507.6 only requires a sign at the entrance to a block for street cleaning signs to be enforceable.

So it sounds like the are using a requirement for street sweeping signs to validate a ticket for a preferential parking sign. I can't find any rules or regulations for the preferential parking signs so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. The LADOT website didn't help at all.

- A

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Isis1

As a driver, I'm going to take a guess and say the No parking from 2am to 6am has to do with no parking without a residential permit mon-sun, while the 10am-12pm has to do with street cleaning.

Am I correct?

agaliarept

@Zigner

No. I came from the other direction and did a U-turn to park. I had ask the landlord and several people in the area if it was ok to park there. I just want to know the regulations for the sign. I already paid the ticket. You are quick to judge.

Isis1

@Zigner

No. I came from the other direction and did a U-turn to park. I had ask the landlord and several people in the area if it was ok to park there. I just want to know the regulations for the sign. I already paid the ticket. You are quick to judge.
Odd, why would you ask the residents? They aren't the ones posting signs and giving out tickets.:mad:

agaliarept

@Isis1

I do not live in the area but visit often. It seems the 2am to 6am is enforced during the week while the 10am to noon is for street sweeping on Thursdays. I asked whomever was available who would probably know. It is better than not asking. Shouldn't the signs tell me what I need to know?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
@Zigner

I made no judgement except that you were guilty, per the facts you presented.

If you already paid this, then why are you here wasting resources? :rolleyes:

agaliarept

I made no judgement except that you were guilty, per the facts you presented.

If you already paid this, then why are you here wasting resources? :rolleyes:
I am asking because I want to know the rules. They are obviously vague at the least and I can still contest the ticket in person if I am in the right.

Isis1

@Isis1

I do not live in the area but visit often. It seems the 2am to 6am is enforced during the week while the 10am to noon is for street sweeping on Thursdays. I asked whomever was available who would probably know. It is better than not asking. Shouldn't the signs tell me what I need to know?
Given you paid the ticket, it's really a non-issue for you.

But, for fun. So you want to know what is the legal requirement for the frequency of each sign per restriction?

agaliarept

Given you paid the ticket, it's really a non-issue for you.

But, for fun. So you want to know what is the legal requirement for the frequency of each sign per restriction?
I would like to know if the "No parking 2AM to 6AM" is valid for the whole block or if it has a frequency requirement. For both cases, what regulations define it?

agaliarept

Those signs are peppered throughout the neighborhood. It's a residential zoning issue.
What do you mean it is a zoning issue? Statement #2 in the original post makes me believe the third party ticketing contractor is using street sweeping sign regulations for other signs to their benefit. Are there any other sites, books, etc. that you know of that could give more specifics on this issue?

Isis1

What do you mean it is a zoning issue? Statement #2 in the original post makes me believe the third party ticketing contractor is using street sweeping sign regulations for other signs to their benefit. Are there any other sites, books, etc. that you know of that could give more specifics on this issue?
Explain to me how you see one sign benifiting the other?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">