• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Street Sweeping Parking Ticket with Sign posted only on One End of Block

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HLeung

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I got a parking ticket for a street sweeping sign that was only posted at the opposite end of the block where I was parked. It would have taken me a good 5 minutes to walk to the end (or beginning of the block as the citation officer called it). I didn't see the sign because I made a 3-point turn in the residential area where this occured so would have only seen from the middle of the block up to the end where I was parked. I tried to contest it with pictures from the middle of the block up to where I parked and there is no sign saying street sweeping in sight. They refused to dismiss the case saying that the one sign per block law is valid enough.

Is there anything that specifies how long a block can be before they have to post another sign? I think this is highly unfair. I have gotten tickets like this before and had the case dismissed because the sign was not clearly posted within a visual range so would really like to fight this one. The city just seems to be ripping people off and not taking responsibility for not being clear. They also want me to send in payment first and will refund me if they decide to dismiss after a second hearing. That to me, gives them very little reason to dismiss the case and return my money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">