• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Metrocard with incorrect name = Fare avoidance?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UWSNyer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (City)
Authority - Transportation Adjudication Bureau

So I'm heading down to SAT practice, and I get my legitimately issued student metro card (MTA fare payment system) out. I swipe it upside down by accident (twice) go over to another turnstile, and go in (with a valid swipe). So some cop calls me over and asks to see my metro card. It doesn't have my name on it (it has, "smith" for example, when my name is "Jackson"). He then says that I am avoiding the fare and that I will be issued a summons because I am using a card that was not issued to me. That is a complete lie I tell him. He says "Yeah, Right" and to talk to my school. He then issues the ticket for 100 bucks. Now I want to contest this ticket, since I know I am innocent of all of the charges. If I get a statement from the woman who issues the cards at my school and the school nurse (who happened to see me get the incorrectly issued card), and head to Brooklyn and the TAB to get a hearing, or send in a notarized mail, what are my chances? Is there a lot of people there? I am innocent and refuse to pay the fine because I should have never been issued a summons in the first place. I am under 18. Do I have a shot? I also have no criminal record, no tickets (hope to keep it that way!), and no moving violations. Is TAB crowded and will I get a hearing? If I go with the statements, what are my chances? My parents do understand that the ticket is a sham and they are just as annoyed as me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And no "PAY THE FINE" BECAUSE I AM NOT GUILTY AND WILL NOT PAY UNLESS ORDERED TO DO SO BY THE TRANSPORTATION ADJUDICATION BUREAU. Thanks in advance!

Antigone*

So I'm heading down to SAT practice, and I get my legitimately issued student metro card (MTA fare payment system) out. I swipe it upside down by accident (twice) go over to another turnstile, and go in (with a valid swipe). So some cop calls me over and asks to see my metro card. It doesn't have my name on it (it has, "smith" for example, when my name is "Jackson"). He then says that I am avoiding the fare and that I will be issued a summons because I am using a card that was not issued to me. That is a complete lie I tell him. He says "Yeah, Right" and to talk to my school. He then issues the ticket for 100 bucks. Now I want to contest this ticket, since I know I am innocent of all of the charges. If I get a statement from the woman who issues the cards at my school and the school nurse (who happened to see me get the incorrectly issued card), and head to Brooklyn and the TAB to get a hearing, or send in a notarized mail, what are my chances? Is there a lot of people there? I am innocent and refuse to pay the fine because I should have never been issued a summons in the first place. I am under 18. Do I have a shot? I also have no criminal record, no tickets (hope to keep it that way!), and no moving violations. Is TAB crowded and will I get a hearing? If I go with the statements, what are my chances? My parents do understand that the ticket is a sham and they are just as annoyed as me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And no "PAY THE FINE" BECAUSE I AM NOT GUILTY AND WILL NOT PAY UNLESS ORDERED TO DO SO BY THE TRANSPORTATION ADJUDICATION BUREAU. Thanks in advance!
Pay the fine, and you're welcome:D

UWSNyer

Yeah...I might pay the fine LATER. But do you know anything about the TAB? Like how long? What chances? Etc? Thanks.

justalayman

so, why do you have a card with the wrong name? As it stands the ticket was proper since your name is Jackson and you have a card with the name Smith on it. If you can prove it is your card, then fight it. If not, pay it.

He then says that I am avoiding the fare and that I will be issued a summons because I am using a card that was not issued to me. That is a complete lie I tell him.
If its a complete lie then you will win; if not, you will lose.

UWSNyer

Eh?

If its a complete lie then you will win; if not, you will lose.
Im using Smith and Jackson as examples, Im just saying that the card has one name on it and my last name is different than the name on the card. The school should have the number of the card on file, if I bring that, the statements and the card, do my chances seem good?

I had history homework and this fiasco has really been sidetrackin me all evening/ morning

Mnemosyne

When you discovered that you were issued a metro card with the wrong surname, did you attempt to obtain a corrected card?

Im using Smith and Jackson as examples, Im just saying that the card has one name on it and my last name is different than the name on the card. The school should have the number of the card on file, if I bring that, the statements and the card, do my chances seem good?

I had history homework and this fiasco has really been sidetrackin me all evening/ morning

UWSNyer

Yes, I asked the woman who issues the cards whether this would be ok. She told me not to worry about it and that I should just go on using it. I though nothing of it until this happened. To get my card, I had to go to her. She was in front of me when I was issued the card. She then gave some excuse to the tune of "im either to lazy, or we have no more student cards other than this one"

justalayman

then bring her to court with you to testify she knowingly issued you a card with an incorrect name,

Of course, it kind of defeats the purpose of putting one's name on the card to begin with so it really doesn't make sense but hey, if that's what happened, go for it.

UWSNyer

Yeah, I talked to my school and hopefully I can get this sorted. She was mortified when I talked to her, and the school was attempting to get a letter sent. Hopefully I can get an appeal by mail (yeah, I have the option of pleading not guilty by mail) and this will get overturned. Thanks for the Advice everybody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">