• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sun visor citation in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyleve

What is the name of your state?
In El Paso, Texas.

My citation reads: "USE EQUIPMENT NOT APPROVED (EYE ROW RED)". I bought a sun visor for my car. I've had it for 3 years. A month ago I got pulled over by a state trooper and told me he was giving me a ticket for my sun visor. I asked why. He responded that the letters on the visor should not be red. I asked him when did this law came into effect, he stated a while back. I told him I did not know about it and that I can take it off right now (the visor is one of those that stick with static). He said that if I wanted to fight it to plead not guilty and the judge will set a court date. That is what I did. I have been driving for 5 years and this is my first citation, for a sun visor ( my citation is for $176.00)! I've been investigating about the "famous law" and the only law I have found is that in Texas the sun visor should not exceed 5 inches in width. What can I do?

JETX

nyleve said:
What can I do?
You can do exactly as the officer said.... plead not guilty and have a hearing where you can present your 'evidence'.... or plead guilty/nolo and pay the fine.

Though your post doesn't say what statute you were cited for, presumably, it is for the following from the Texas Transportation Code:
§ 547.613. RESTRICTIONS ON WINDOWS.
(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:
(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window and that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view; or
(2) if a person, including an installer or manufacturer, places on or attaches to the windshield or side or rear window of a motor vehicle a transparent material that alters the color or reduces the light transmission.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) a windshield that has a sunscreening device that:
(A) in combination with the windshield has a light transmission of 25 percent or more;
(B) in combination with the windshield has a luminous reflectance of 25 percent or less;
(C) is not red, blue, or amber; and
(D) does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or more than five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield;

What is the EXACT citation shown on the ticket???

nyleve

What is the EXACT citation shown on the ticket???

In TEXAS

alleged speed, speed limit, & radar cal. are blank. Violation(s) is what I wrote previously: "Use equipment not approved ( eye row red)". Citation is marked for "reason of stop" and "no" for vehicle search. That is all it has. I measured the sun visor and it is 4 inches, well 3.25". It does not obstruct my vision!

JETX

nyleve said:
alleged speed, speed limit, & radar cal. are blank. Violation(s) is what I wrote previously: "Use equipment not approved ( eye row red)". Citation is marked for "reason of stop" and "no" for vehicle search. That is all it has. I measured the sun visor and it is 4 inches, well 3.25". It does not obstruct my vision!
Then tell it to the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">