• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surcharges applied to my DL contradict reality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tx237592654

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I went to renew my DL and found out that there are several surcharges associated with my DL. They stem from a ticket in Fort Worth, where I've never driven, or been/lived, that says that I was driving without insurance. I have had insurance, without lapse, during that entire time. I'm not sure how this happened. It appears, to me, that someone had similar information to me, or provided my information to the FW police for the ticket. Needless to say, I can not renew my DL until these surcharges are dealt with. Am I required to pay surcharges for an offense I didn't commit? Is my ability to prove proof of insurance during that entire time useful to me? How should I proceed?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I went to renew my DL and found out that there are several surcharges associated with my DL. They stem from a ticket in Fort Worth, where I've never driven, or been/lived, that says that I was driving without insurance. I have had insurance, without lapse, during that entire time. I'm not sure how this happened. It appears, to me, that someone had similar information to me, or provided my information to the FW police for the ticket. Needless to say, I can not renew my DL until these surcharges are dealt with. Am I required to pay surcharges for an offense I didn't commit? Is my ability to prove proof of insurance during that entire time useful to me? How should I proceed?
You never received any notices in the mail?

I'd say that proof of insurance would show that you were not without insurance at the date of the ticket. Do you have work records or anything else showing you were not in Ft. Worth that day?

tx237592654

I did not receive notification by mail, but the address they had at that time was correct. I have a myriad of issues with the Post Office, anyways, but I assume the DPS sent them somewhere.

I have workorder information for that morning, but nothing to show where I was, that night. It would've taken me driving to DFW at about 160 mph, after getting off of work, to make it there in time to get the ticket, from where I live. It's possible that the address associated with the first surcharge is the address of the actual offender. The mail might have been sent there. However, the DPS told me that the address doesn't matter.

tx237592654

The TX DPS has a program that I qualify for that will reduce the overall cost to just under $3k. The charges themselves amount to just under $6k. Paying a dime for "No Insurance" surcharges while maintaining it this entire time, is certainly upsetting, though.

Edit: I failed at adding this up. I can qualify to pay just under $2k, total surcharges are just under $3k.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The TX DPS has a program that I qualify for that will reduce the overall cost to just under $3k. The charges themselves amount to just under $6k. Paying a dime for "No Insurance" surcharges while maintaining it this entire time, is certainly upsetting, though.
Wow - that certainly sounds like enough money to put some effort in to them fixing the error. Escalate this at DPS and with the Ft Worth police.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do I need a copy of the police report and ticket from the FW police?
I think you need to start with the DPS - try to get an appointment with a supervisor and go in to talk to them. Take the proof of your continuous insurance coverage and ask what else they may need to see...

tx237592654

To explain the surcharges a little better:

The first surcharge is for the FW no insurance ticket. There is also a No Driver's License associated with my actual address, on the same day. Almost a year later, the DWLI (Driving while license invalid?) surcharges show up. All 3 of these surcharges are applied a total of 3 times, for a total of 9 surcharges.

I guess that shows that the person pulled over in FW didn't have a DL on them? I'm sure the FW police will have more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">