• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kattybeme

What is the name of your state? WI

Can the DMV suspend the registration of a vehicle because of an unpaid (moving violation) ticket if the registration is in one person's name and the ticket was in someone else's? I was driving my parent's car when I received a citation. The ticket went unpaid (I know, stupid) and I received a notice that my license was suspended because of this....the ticket has since been paid. I heard that they can also suspend the registration of the vehicle also.

This is from the Wisconsin DOT website:

"When a person has not paid a traffic forfeiture judgment as ordered by a court participating in the TVRP, the court may direct the Parking Citations Unit to refuse on the registration of any vehicle owned by the person named on the Notice of Unpaid Judgment. Participating courts may only refuse on the registrations of vehicles owned by persons who have unpaid judgments."

Since the ticket was in my name and the vehicle is in my father's name, can they suspend "his" registration? The ticket wasn't a parking ticket....it was a moving violation if that makes a difference.

I'm asking this because we are going in next week to trade that vehicle into the dealer and I want to make sure everything is ok with the registration....I work too late to go into the DMV to check on this myself.

I'd appreciate any info you have. Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">