• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'Tag' not assigned - Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickie_d

Firstly, thanks for letting me join this forum!

I hope I'm posting in the right section. - Think I may have just posted incorrectly - sorry

I lived in Florida for nearly two years and just before I departed the 'tag' on my vehicle was 'not assigned' I had to come back to the UK due to a serious illness in the family and could not return to Florida. The court case went ahead (I checked on-line) and the case is still open. I'd like to go back for a visit later this year and I'm concerned I'll be picked up and arrested on arrival at the airport! I wrote to the courthouse concerned outlining the case number etc. to ask if there was a way of resolving it from the UK but with no reply. Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Florida now living in the UKWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida now living in the UKWhat

mickie_d

Statute number

I copied these details from the on-line court report, I think it's what you're asking. Please be patient with me, I am terrified about returning to Florida for a visit. I just wish I could get this sorted out!

Thanks for your help, Mike

01 0 08/16/05 08/16/05 4030-DWL8

320.261 S M

ATTACHING TAG NOT ASSIGNED

Info Filed Dt: 08/23/05 Sta In :F Sta SA :N

JETX

320.261 - ATTACHING TAG NOT ASSIGNED
Wow... not nearly as 'innocent' as your first post implied...

320.261 Attaching registration license plate not assigned unlawful; penalty
Any person who knowingly attaches to any motor vehicle or mobile home any registration license plate, or who knowingly attaches any validation sticker or mobile home sticker to a registration license plate, which plate or sticker was not issued and assigned or lawfully transferred to such vehicle, is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

You CONSCIOUSLY made the decision to break the law and got caught. You are now 'whimping' out and refusing to be responsible for YOUR conduct, right??

As for punishment:
775.082 Penalties; applicability of sentencing structures; mandatory minimum sentences for certain reoffenders previously released from prison.--
(4) A person who has been convicted of a designated misdemeanor may be sentenced as follows:
(b) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days

Be a RESPONSIBLE adult. Contact the court. Pay your fine for YOUR decision.

mickie_d

Resposible for my own conduct!

Thanks for the reply. I AM responsible for my own conduct, I HAVE contacted the court but with no reply. I don't have a problem paying my fine. I Do worry I'll go to jail of course. The last 2 years here in the UK have not been good due to family illness (this is NOT an excuse I know!) And above all I would very much like to resolve this. Do you have any suggestion? Is it likely to be a fine or jail time? I do appreciate your reply!

Thanks, Mike

mickie_d

Just to add.....

Sorry to go on************** The tag I attached to my truck was a 'vanity' plate and I had no idea (seriously!) that I couldn't just remove the original tag and replace it with my personal one! Of course I was stopped, stupid I know**************..
Thanks again, Mike

patstew

Thanks for the reply. I AM responsible for my own conduct, I HAVE contacted the court but with no reply. I don't have a problem paying my fine. I Do worry I'll go to jail of course. The last 2 years here in the UK have not been good due to family illness (this is NOT an excuse I know!) And above all I would very much like to resolve this. Do you have any suggestion?
Yes -- get the phone number off the web site and call them.

Strange things can happen to international mail. I'm assuming you didn't send it so you got a receipt back.

mickie_d

Thanks Patstew

Hi Patstew,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply, I did check on the Courthouse site and they did receive my e-mail, it reports that it was passed on to the Judge that dealt with the case initially. I still haven't had a reply, and that's over a month ago, I am extremely worried! I'll try mailing them again (I'm terrible on the 'phone!) If I don't get a reply in a week or so I guess I'll have to 'phone,

Many thanks once again,

Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">