• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tag violation outside my apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wsingl01

Maryland ***My parents bought me car for school while I was down in FL. I recently relocated to maryland 2 months ago. The problem was whether to go ahead and register the car here in Maryland or to leave the registration in PA(where my parents are). Since I haven't had the time to take care of everything I decided to renew my tag in PA. My sticker hasn't come yet and although I have proof of purchase I decided not to drive my car until I get my tag. My tag Just expired on 10/31/06 I fugure its just a couple days before the new one comes in. In the mean time I've started getting a ticket everyday this month "Parked on a public access street displayng expired tag" After the 1st day I took the tag off and left a note explaing the situation and still got the same tickket. My apartment complex is considered private property I thought I was doing the right thing by not driving it and leaving it home. Am I wrong is this something I can challenge? So idoes this mean I'm getting a ticket everyday. What's the definition of a public access street. At this rate should I just take my chances driving the car, the guy gives me a ticket everyday at about 2. Any advice?

LSCAP

Different states different laws.

In NC, at the colleges, some of the parking areas are patrolled by city police, or parking agents at the request of the complex. To get rid of junkers, left by some students.

I suggest you find a friend who lives in an apartment where there is really private property, and leave it there, or they will stop giving tickets and tow it away.

Towing is another agreement with some complexes.

moburkes

Generally, unless the sticker is physically on the vehicle, it isn't valid. That's why it is always suggested to not wait until the last minute. Call the DMV and ask their opinion of what you should do in the meantime.

LSCAP

If the ticket was for unregistered vehicle, you stood a chance of beating it.

But the ticket is for "failing to display" which means you are guilty.

Pay the ticket and hide the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">