• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Tow Zone made while out of town.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tprendergast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. Los Angeles County.

Hello. I read an almost similar post on here, but I figured I'd give my specifics to see if anything was different.

This past weekend I went out of town and left my car parked on the street (as I normally do day-to-day). I parked on a street that had Tuesday street cleaning and since I would be back in town on Monday, I figured I had nothing to worry about.

However, when I returned Monday, my car was nowhere to be found. I gathered it had been towed and then noticed signs that said "Temporary Tow-Away Zone - No Parking Sunday 6AM-Midnight". This of course was due to the Oscars which were going on Sunday evening a few blocks over.

When I left on Friday, there were no temporary tow zone signs to notify me that the temporary no parking would be taking place on Sunday (I obviously wouldn't have left my car there over the weekend then).

One would think, since a car can be parked in a spot for up to 72hrs before being considered abandoned, that temporary tow-away zone signs would be posted in the area at least 72hrs before they were to take effect.

I picked my car up from the tow lot on Tuesday (the car was impounded on Sunday) and had to pay about $350 only then to find a $98 ticket on my car as well. I've read a bit on here that usually when you contest a tow, even if you are rewarded a refund, they only refund the violation ticket.

I'm debating whether or not it is worth it to call in and contest the tow because it's possible that even if I say I wasn't given enough notice on the temporary tow zone, they would then say that my car would have been left in the spot for more than 72hrs and would have been towed nonetheless.

Do I have a legit excuse since I was out of town (and state) to check on my car but was under the impression that I had a 72hr window of safety?

-Tim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">