• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terrible Parking Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azndevil555

California-San Francisco
I was parked on a narrow street where there was about 20 other cars parked the same direction I was parked. I received a citation and it stated that I parked 18" away from curb. I had to circle around 3 times to finally find a parking spot where I waited for the previous parked car to leave before obtaining the open spot. I called the Traffic Department and the guy pretty much said it was illegal to park, but there was no sign or marking listed that parking was illegal and again there was about 15-20 cars parked on the same curb and same direction. Is there anyway that I can fight/protest this citation? What are some things that I should include in protesting this citation? Please provide some advice.

Last edited:

moburkes

California
I was parked on a narrow street where there was about 20 other cars parked the same direction I was parked. I received a citation and it stated that I parked 18" away from curb. I had to circle around 3 times to finally find a parking spot where I waited for the previous parked car to leave before obtaining the open spot. I called the Traffic Department and the guy pretty much said it was illegal to park, but there was no sign or marking listed that parking was illegal and again there was about 15-20 cars parked on the same curb and same direction.
You haven't asked a legal question, but if you WERE 18" from the curb, then why is the ticket so terrible?:confused:

patstew

California
I was parked on a narrow street where there was about 20 other cars parked the same direction I was parked. I received a citation and it stated that I parked 18" away from curb. I had to circle around 3 times to finally find a parking spot where I waited for the previous parked car to leave before obtaining the open spot. I called the Traffic Department and the guy pretty much said it was illegal to park, but there was no sign or marking listed that parking was illegal and again there was about 15-20 cars parked on the same curb and same direction.
How many times you circled the block, the number of cars and the direction in which they were parked have nothing to do with the citation you received. You parked too far from the curb, which is a safety issue, and it must've been far enough to draw an officer's attention.

In my town, you're supposed to be within a foot of the curb. Nobody goes around with a ruler, but if a vehicle is sticking out far enough to attract notice, it gets a ticket.

azndevil555

How many times you circled the block, the number of cars and the direction in which they were parked have nothing to do with the citation you received. You parked too far from the curb, which is a safety issue, and it must've been far enough to draw an officer's attention.

In my town, you're supposed to be within a foot of the curb. Nobody goes around with a ruler, but if a vehicle is sticking out far enough to attract notice, it gets a ticket.

I understand if that was the case, but that wasnt the case though...
That was the violation listed on the citation, but it's impossible to be too far away from the curb because I was barely able to get out of the car due to the curb also being really high. I would say the curb was at least 12-14" high and when i tried to get out of my car the door would not open.

moburkes

That was the violation listed on the citation, but it's impossible to be too far away from the curb because I was barely able to get out of the car due to the curb also being really high. I would say the curb was at least 12-14" high and when i tried to get out of my car the door would not open.
So, did you take a picture of the distance between your vehicle and the curb before you moved your car? The height of the curb is irrelevant as well.

seniorjudge

How wide is your door?

azndevil555

So, did you take a picture of the distance between your vehicle and the curb before you moved your car? The height of the curb is irrelevant as well.
Also after a call to the SF Dept. they told me it's for illegal and not for what was listed on the citation...

azndevil555

Wrong way parking has the same fine.
Yes I know that is the info. I want to know if there is ways that I can protest this citations because I feel its ridiculous since first I wasn't too far away from curb and second is that there were actually other cars parked on the same curb and same direction as I was.

moburkes

Yes I know that is the info. I want to know if there is ways that I can protest this citations because I feel its ridiculous since first I wasn't too far away from curb and second is that there were actually other cars parked on the same curb and same direction as I was.
Protest based on the first reason, not the 2nd. You can't tell the judge that since other people were parked illegally, I also should have been able to park illegally. That doesn't even make a bit of sense.

Is there even a judge for parking tickets?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">