• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas - nonmoving violation - seatblet ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V4Vendetta

What is the name of your state?
Texas

I was pulled over by a cop standing on the side of the road, asked me for my license and insurnace.

I told him he had to give me a reson why he was pulling me over, before i gave him anything.

He said because you and your passenger are not wearing your seatbelt.

I told him you can't do that, because its a non moving violation, and you had no PC to pull me over in the first place.

The cop got so scared, he didn't even want to see my id or my insurance. but he was still wrting a ticket to my passenger.

I told him he couldn't do that, and he did it anyway.

Then he told my passenger that he could take him to jail for not wearing a seatbelt....

Then I told that cop that if he did, we would sue him for wrongful imprinsonment, and lost time at work.

he laughed and said now you think your a laywer.

he called for backup, once his backup came, his handed the ticket to my passenger, and I drove off....

He watched the whole time to see if I was going to put my seatbelt on or not, I looked him dead in the eye, and shook my head, not putting my seatbelt on. Him and his boss both watched, and didn't pull me over again.

Now, as far as I know, this is still America, land of the brave and home of the free.

Government, is not sposed to tell us to wear a seat belt, FREEDOM, lets a person choose if they want to or not.

Seatbelt tickets are a non-moving violation in Texas.

My question is this, where can I find the law in Texas that says its a non-moving violation, and can't be pulled over for it.

then I also heard that in Texas, the law state that the maximum a fine can be for a non-moving violation is 25-50$

"According to the FindLaw Web site, violation of seatbelt laws in Texas is considered a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not less than $25 or more than $50. Texas law also authorizes (but does not require) police to arrest a person found violating the seatbelt laws. Seat belt violations are considered non-moving violations and, therefore, could increase your insurance rates."
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_seat_belt_violation_in_Texas_non-moving_and_will_it_increase_insurance_rates

Is this true???

I am sorry but I don't know where to look for this informationl.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

My friend was driving his 60's muscle car when it was struck in the driver's side quarter panel. He went through the passenger door glass and landed in the road. His car spun around on the wet pavement and ended up over him. His face was fried by the hot oil pan and he died. It was difficult to identify the body.

seven53

He said because you and your passenger are not wearing your seatbelt.I told him you can't do that, because its a non moving violation, and you had no PC to pull me over in the first place.
Texas has a primary seat belt law, the stop is valid
http://www.statehighwaysafety.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

he was still wrting a ticket to my passenger.I told him he couldn't do that, and he did it anyway.
The law applies to everyone in the front seats

Then he told my passenger that he could take him to jail for not wearing a seatbelt....
In Texas, he sure can. Read about it here http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/99-1408.ZS.html

He watched the whole time to see if I was going to put my seatbelt on or not, I looked him dead in the eye, and shook my head, not putting my seatbelt on. Him and his boss both watched, and didn't pull me over again.
He has amazing restraint. You would be in my jail if I were him :)

Government, is not sposed to tell us to wear a seat belt, FREEDOM, lets a person choose if they want to or not.
Sorry. The public demands laws to save lives and reduce liability. The greater good trumps certain "freedoms"

My question is this, where can I find the law in Texas that says its a non-moving violation, and can't be pulled over for it.
You won't

then I also heard that in Texas, the law state that the maximum a fine can be for a non-moving violation is 25-50$
Maximum fine in Texas is $200

V4Vendetta

Texas has a primary seat belt law, the stop is valid
http://www.statehighwaysafety.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

I dissagree, you can not be pulled over for a -NON-MOVING violation
They have to find a moving violation to stop you from moving, and then giove you a non-moving violation

why do you think seatbelt tickets aren't reported to insurance????????

The law applies to everyone in the front seats
I know

In Texas, he sure can. Read about it here http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/99-1408.ZS.html

I know, thats not what i was trying to say

He has amazing restraint. You would be in my jail if I were him :)

Restraint?, lol your wrong
he knew i was right, everyone that knows anything about the seatbelt law where i live, get's off, the cops don't even show up to court 1/2 the time and it gets dissmissed.

Sorry. The public demands laws to save lives and reduce liability. The greater good trumps certain "freedoms"

THE PUBLIC DEMANDS??? "GREATER GOOD????

SOUND LIKE A HITLERY CLINTON OR STALIN< THATS EXACTLY WHAT STALIN SAID TO HIS PEOPLE
FREEDOM IS THE PRINCIPLE OF OUR COUNTRY< THE CONSTITUTION
THE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT IS TO PROTECT OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHTS< NOTHING ELSE.
READ THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
FREEDOM IS THE CHOICE OF AN INDIVIDUAL
IF I SO CHOOSE TO NOT WEAR A SEATBELT, THATS MY CHOICE< IF I DIE< THEN I DIE

You won't

Maximum fine in Texas is $200

if thats true, so me a link
because i found somewhere else that says different

The Occultist

OP, your logic is flawed. I don't know where you got the idea that you can't be pulled over for a non-moving violation, but you can. All "non-moving" really means is that it won't apply points against your license, but you can still be pulled over for them.

This is especially true of seatbelt violations. The nation is currently in the midst of its "Click it or Ticket" seatbelt enforcement campaign, and it is a big deal. If the officer can visually confirm that your seatbelt is not on properly, you can be pulled over.

I'm sorry for your ignorance and your attitude, but you are most certainly in the wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">