• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas suspended and Mississippi valid???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zearlc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

Ok, in 2009 I got my license suspended for DWLI and no insurance(I NEVER took the test but had a Texas ID) and never paid the surcharges. They told me that when I did get a Texas DL that it would automatically be suspended for a year until I paid the surcharges, reinstatement fee and possibly SR-22. (I also looked at the Texas surcharge website and it said that it was a departmental suspension, NOT ALR, which may explain why this conundrum occured.) 6 months ago I moved to Mississippi and was planning to live there permanently and went to apply for a DL permit and got it! I told MS that I was suspended for DWLI in Tx and they told me that I passed the written portion and to come back to take the driving portion and to surrender my Tx ID and so I did, to my surprise I got the MS DL! I thought that for sure Tx would catch up and suspend it or MS would suspend me after I paid them just to get non-refundable application fees. Well, it never happened. (keep in mind that for some reason my Tx ID and my MS DL numbers were totally different.) About a month ago I decided to move back to Tx to my previous address, and they are still sending me suspension notices to this address for my Tx ID number. I don't know how this happened but I'm guessing that Mississippi dismissed or somehow ignored the DWLI and no insurance in Tx because I was a "permanent" resident of MS. What will happen to me if I get stopped for driving in Tx being suspended in Tx but having a valid MS DL??? Do I need to put an Attorney on retainer just in case??? I did a lot of googling and searching and found no answers but some feedback would be appreciated. No trolls please!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

Ok, in 2009 I got my license suspended for DWLI and no insurance(I NEVER took the test but had a Texas ID) and never paid the surcharges. They told me that when I did get a Texas DL that it would automatically be suspended for a year until I paid the surcharges, reinstatement fee and possibly SR-22. (I also looked at the Texas surcharge website and it said that it was a departmental suspension, NOT ALR, which may explain why this conundrum occured.) 6 months ago I moved to Mississippi and was planning to live there permanently and went to apply for a DL permit and got it! I told MS that I was suspended for DWLI in Tx and they told me that I passed the written portion and to come back to take the driving portion and to surrender my Tx ID and so I did, to my surprise I got the MS DL! I thought that for sure Tx would catch up and suspend it or MS would suspend me after I paid them just to get non-refundable application fees. Well, it never happened. (keep in mind that for some reason my Tx ID and my MS DL numbers were totally different.) About a month ago I decided to move back to Tx to my previous address, and they are still sending me suspension notices to this address for my Tx ID number. I don't know how this happened but I'm guessing that Mississippi dismissed or somehow ignored the DWLI and no insurance in Tx because I was a "permanent" resident of MS. What will happen to me if I get stopped for driving in Tx being suspended in Tx but having a valid MS DL??? Do I need to put an Attorney on retainer just in case??? I did a lot of googling and searching and found no answers but some feedback would be appreciated. No trolls please!
You are required to surrender your MS license and apply for a Texas license within 90 days of moving to Texas. From http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/movingtotexas.htm:

Transferring an Out of State Driver License to Texas

New Texas residents can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory, Canadian province, or qualifying country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

Prior to the end of the 90 day grace period, a new Texas resident must apply for a Texas license in person at any driver license office to continue to drive legally. When applying for the new Texas license the individual must surrender any unexpired driver license in their possession from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or a Canadian province.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">