• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a statute of limitations on tickets for cufew violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilly0626

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My stepdaughter is 21 years old. She was recently stopped for her brake lights not working and was subsequently arrested for driving on a suspended license. At the time, she claimed that she didn't know that her license had been suspended or why, as she had not received any tickets recently. After investigation she says that it had been suspended because she had a "failure to appear" for a ticket she received for breaking curfew. If that's true, she would have received that ticket more than 3 years ago, before she turned 18. Something doesn't seem right about this to me, as there have been other occasions when this would have or should have come to light without her getting arrested. Thoughts?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

At the time, she claimed that she didn't know that her license had been suspended or why, as she had not received any tickets recently. Thoughts?
Not knowing ones license is suspended is generally not a defense.

Your daughter is going to have to deal with the original FTA on the curfew and the suspension.

I strongly suggest she get a lawyer, as even if the statute of limitation has expired (which I do not believe it has at 3 years), she would need to raise that as a defense, which she won't be able to do alone. She needs a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not knowing ones license is suspended is generally not a defense.

Your daughter is going to have to deal with the original FTA on the curfew and the suspension.

I strongly suggest she get a lawyer, as even if the statute of limitation has expired (which I do not believe it has at 3 years), she would need to raise that as a defense, which she won't be able to do alone. She needs a lawyer.
The clock on the SoL stopped running when the daughter was charged (ie: ticketed)

Lilly0626

She has spoken to a lawyer but I don't know what he's told her. To be honest, I don't really think she's telling us the whole truth about the situation. I just thought I would post here because it seemed fishy to me that she would have a suspended license NOW for something that happened over 3 years ago when she was a minor.

Silverplum

She has spoken to a lawyer but I don't know what he's told her. To be honest, I don't really think she's telling us the whole truth about the situation. I just thought I would post here because it seemed fishy to me that she would have a suspended license NOW for something that happened over 3 years ago when she was a minor.
She's an adult.

Silverplum

Yes. And? I know she's an adult now. That doesn't answer anything. Did you read my first post?
Sure I did.

My point is obvious: she's an adult, you don't have a legal right to her information, and if she lied to her Dad -- well, that's on her.

In other words, it's not your legal business what she's up to. 3 years ago or today, doesn't matter.

Zigner

The ONLY thing that seems "fishy" is her claim to have not known about it.

Lilly0626

Ok, let me rephrase. I'm not asking for HER information. I just want to know IN GENERAL if someone can have a suspended license, be arrested, etc. as an adult for something that happened years before, when they were a minor. Can a minor offense, such as curfew violation carry over for years into someone's adulthood. Whether or not my stepdaughter is lying IS on her. I just want to know if that is even PLAUSIBLE.

Last edited:

Silverplum

ok, let me rephrase. I'm not asking for her information. I just want to know in general if someone can have a suspended license, be arrested, etc. As an adult for something that happened years before, when they were a minor. Can a minor offense, such as curfew violation carry over for years in someone's adulthood. Whether or not my stepdaughter is lying is on her. I just want to know if that is even plausible.

Zigner

Ok, let me rephrase. I'm not asking for HER information. I just want to know IN GENERAL if someone can have a suspended license, be arrested, etc. as an adult for something that happened years before, when they were a minor. Can a minor offense, such as curfew violation carry over for years into someone's adulthood. Whether or not my stepdaughter is lying IS on her. I just want to know if that is even PLAUSIBLE.
Yes, absolutely plausible. The offense was not the curfew violation...it was failure to appear at court.

xylene

Yes, absolutely plausible. The offense was not the curfew violation...it was failure to appear at court.
In fairness it might be the failure to pay the fine. The poster is clear about not knowing what happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">