• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thief stole my car and then left it on a red curb

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My car was stolen a few weeks ago. 6 hours after I had reported it stolen, it was found. Apparently the thief left it parked on a red curb and I got a ticket for it. The location of the ticket is the same location that the car was recovered from by the tow company. When I paid to get my car out of the tow yard, there was no ticket anywhere on or in my car and nothing was mentioned to me by the tow yard. I just received a notice in the mail today informing me that I have a ticket and if I don't pay in 12 days, the fee goes up $45. I have documentation to show it was reported stolen when the ticket was issued. By all means, this was no error of law, but it was also not an error on my part that a thief broke into my car and drove it without permission and ditched it by a red curb. Do I stand any chance to get the ticket dismissed? I'm thinking not, but I'll ask you guys anyways. It might not hurt to try, eh?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, I think you have a good chance of having it dismissed. Follow the appeal instructions included with the letter.

Everything is timed and dated and here's how it seems to play out. Parking officer writes the ticket at 8:07 am. Police recover the car at 8:12am. Towing company is called at 9:18am. I'm glad that I have a valid reason to contest the ticket. Unfortunately, the instructions say I must contest it within 21 days. Tomorrow is day 21 from the day the ticket was issued. I'm going down tomorrow in person to provide my paperwork and submit the paperwork if I'm allowed to. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">