• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

throwing cigarette ash from the window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prerit2k

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California.

I was driving on the city street and a officer pulled me over for throwing cigarette ash from the window.
I have a mandatory court appearance. Can somebody tell me what will happen or what penalties i can get. ?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California.

I was driving on the city street and a officer pulled me over for throwing cigarette ash from the window.
I have a mandatory court appearance. Can somebody tell me what will happen or what penalties i can get. ?
What section were you cited for violating? There are at least two that might apply.

FlyingRon

God bless Paul Buzzo.

Those of us who smoke and deal with our refuse in a SAFE and legal manner salute him.

Alex23

You were smoking and ashed your cigarette out the window? I didn't realize that constitutes littering. There are millions of people ashing their cigarettes all over the country all day long. How long is it going to take to cite all of them?

justalayman

You were smoking and ashed your cigarette out the window? I didn't realize that constitutes littering. There are millions of people ashing their cigarettes all over the country all day long. How long is it going to take to cite all of them?
yes, it constitutes littering and in areas where forest fires are of concern, it is an especially concerning action.

apparently you don't have a problem with somebody starting a fire that causes millions of dollars in damages and costs millions of dollars to put out.

since you don't, don't gripe about how much you pay in taxes.

CdwJava

It's still littering. He's lucky he did not get hit with the section for burning embers.

In my county, we get a couple of dozen fires every year on the side of the freeways that are believed to have been set by people flicking cigs and ashes out of their windows. It is both a dangerous and costly proposition.

23112. (a) No person shall throw or deposit, nor shall the registered owner or the driver, if such owner is not then present in the vehicle, aid or abet in the throwing or depositing upon any highway any bottle, can, garbage, glass, nail, offal, paper, wire, any substance likely to injure or damage traffic using the highway, or any noisome, nauseous, or offensive matter of any kind.

(b) No person shall place, deposit or dump, or cause to be placed, deposited or dumped, any rocks, refuse, garbage, or dirt in or upon any highway, including any portion of the right-of-way thereof, without the consent of the state or local agency having jurisdiction over the highway.
Simple rule - use the ashtray!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">