• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for "2 Abondened Vehicles on Lot"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmwM6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey (NJ)

Okay, so about a year ago a close one died and we have 2 cars that are abondened on our parking lot. The lot fits 2 cars. Since a few months we have taken the insurance off the cars since what's the point of paying for insurance if we're not going to use the cars? Right?

Well I come home and find in a mailed ticket that says "2 Abondened Vehicles on Lot". The cars don't have license plates on them since the insurance wanted them back.

The thing that I don't understand is how can I get a ticket for 2 abondened cars, yet they're on my OWN PROPERTY. It's not blocking anyone, and it's not blocking a sidewalk.

What can I do?

We can't move the cars anywhere because trust me I'd love the parking space. We have some courts settlements and the cars can't be put anywhere since we can't claim them from the loss of our close one. We court for this settlement won't be in 2 months, so the cars cannot be moved.

However I got the ticket today and the court date appearance was 4 days ago.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey (NJ)

Okay, so about a year ago a close one died and we have 2 cars that are abondened on our parking lot. The lot fits 2 cars. Since a few months we have taken the insurance off the cars since what's the point of paying for insurance if we're not going to use the cars? Right?

Well I come home and find in a mailed ticket that says "2 Abondened Vehicles on Lot". The cars don't have license plates on them since the insurance wanted them back.

The thing that I don't understand is how can I get a ticket for 2 abondened cars, yet they're on my OWN PROPERTY. It's not blocking anyone, and it's not blocking a sidewalk.

What can I do?

We can't move the cars anywhere because trust me I'd love the parking space. We have some courts settlements and the cars can't be put anywhere since we can't claim them from the loss of our close one. We court for this settlement won't be in 2 months, so the cars cannot be moved.

However I got the ticket today and the court date appearance was 4 days ago.
You didn't state what code section you were actually ticketed for, but I'd venture to guess that, if the abandoned vehicles are visible, then they're not allowed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A question comes to mind - how are you forced to hold on to these vehicles?

justalayman

I don't see anything similar to that in state statutes. Is it possible it is a local ordinance?

I know some states do not allow unlicensed vehicles to be visible from the road.

justalayman

Jersey City right?
If so:

§ 287-4. - Accumulations of refuse and noxious plants on vacant lots.

[Amended 1-26-1984 by Ord. No. MC-548; 6-25-1997 by Ord. No. 97-041]

A.
In addition to any other penalty authorized by this article, the Director of Public Works or his designee may notify the owner of any real property to remove from the property brush, weeds, dead and dying trees, stumps, roots, noxious growths, filth, garbage, litter and debris. If the owner fails to comply within 10 days after notice from the Director, the Director may authorize the removal and charge the cost of removal to the owner. The Tax Collector shall certify the costs of removal to the Municipal Council, which shall examine the certificate and cause the cost shown thereon, if correct, to be charged against the property; the amount so charged shall become a lien upon the property to be added to and become part of the taxes next to be assessed and levied upon the property and bearing interest at the same rate as taxes. This lien shall be collected and enforced by the same officers and in the same manner as taxes.
B.
All property owners of vacant lots are required to erect a fence to prevent the accumulation of refuse. If a fence is not erected by the property owner, the Director may authorize the erect a fence around the property to abate accumulation of refuse.
[Amended 9-9-1998 by Ord. No. 98-118]

C.
The Director shall certify the costs of abatement to the Tax Collector, and such costs shall thereupon become a lien upon the property to the same extent as liens for unpaid municipal property taxes. In addition thereto, the city may have an action to recover such costs against the owner of such lands in any court having jurisdiction thereof
I suppose they could stretch it to include vehicles.

It would appear that this ordinance is simply one that allows; first, notification and; second, forced action should the homeowner fail to take action to remedy the violation on their own.

If this is the appropriate ordinance, I would suggest taking any documentation concerning the probate actions with you and argue that they are not abandoned, merely unlicensed (which does not appear to be addressed in this ordinance) and they are simply waiting for an action of the probate court regarding their disposal. If they insist removal, I suggest finding someplace to store them. That would be up to the PR/exec of the estate to deal with at the expense of the estate, not you.

bmwM6

If so:

I suppose they could stretch it to include vehicles.

It would appear that this ordinance is simply one that allows; first, notification and; second, forced action should the homeowner fail to take action to remedy the violation on their own.

If this is the appropriate ordinance, I would suggest taking any documentation concerning the probate actions with you and argue that they are not abandoned, merely unlicensed (which does not appear to be addressed in this ordinance) and they are simply waiting for an action of the probate court regarding their disposal. If they insist removal, I suggest finding someplace to store them. That would be up to the PR/exec of the estate to deal with at the expense of the estate, not you.
Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">