• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in an area that had a no parking sign over a sign for no parking over night

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat9384

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Pennsylvania - I recieved a parking ticket when I was parked next to two signs on a post. The first sign was the no parking P sign. The sign directly below stated "no street parking in Mt. Lebanon from 2 am - 6 am". I assumed that I couldn't park on this street between those hours, but I got a ticket at 8:50 am when I was parked there for an hour. I am fighting this ticket in court. Do I have a chance of winning? How should I fight my argument? Thank you! I wouldn't have parked on this street if I didn't think I could park there during the day.

Last edited:

justalayman

I suspect the two signs addressed two different issues. The no parking between 2 and 6 applied to all streets. The no parking sign was specific to the area you parked. In other words, there is no parking where you were...at any time.

kat9384

Thank you for the response. I suspect you are right, but it seems odd to me for them to have the no parking over night sign if a vehicle can't park there at all. If the ticket wasn't for $100, I wouldn't try to fight it. We'll see if the judge feels the signs are also misleading.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for the response. I suspect you are right, but it seems odd to me for them to have the no parking over night sign if a vehicle can't park there at all. If the ticket wasn't for $100, I wouldn't try to fight it. We'll see if the judge feels the signs are also misleading.
I don't understand why you feel mislead. No parking is more restrictive than no parking with a time period. You follow the more restrictive sign...

kat9384

Thank you for your response. Why would there be a sign for no parking at a specific time if you couldn't park on that street at all? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Zigner

Thank you for your response. Why would there be a sign for no parking at a specific time if you couldn't park on that street at all? That just doesn't make any sense to me.
One sign (the one with the times) obviously applied to the entire city. The no parking any time applied to that location.

kat9384

One sign (the one with the times) obviously applied to the entire city. The no parking any time applied to that location.
What would be the logic of placing the sign of no parking between 2 am - 6 am on that post if you couldn't park on that street at any time? Also, in that same community, there are signs that have the no parking P on the same exact sign as the no parking over night times. In that case, the sign is just used as a symbol and it is supposed to be interpreted differently. In my opinion, if there's no parking on that street at all, then why speciify a time that you can't park there either?

Zigner

What would be the logic of placing the sign of no parking between 2 am - 6 am on that post if you couldn't park on that street at any time? Also, in that same community, there are signs that have the no parking P on the same exact sign as the no parking over night times. In that case, the sign is just used as a symbol and it is supposed to be interpreted differently. In my opinion, if there's no parking on that street at all, then why speciify a time that you can't park there either?
In keeping with the "why" theme...why do you keep asking the same question that's already been answered?

justalayman

One fewer sign posts they had to install maybe?

LdiJ

I agree that it is not logical and would tend to confuse people. It certainly cannot hurt to take a picture of the two signs and explain your confusion to the judge. The judge may or may not agree with you.

Zigner

I agree that it is not logical and would tend to confuse people. It certainly cannot hurt to take a picture of the two signs and explain your confusion to the judge. The judge may or may not agree with you.
One sign explains that the entire city has no parking between certain hours. The other sign explains that the location where the OP parked is a no parking area at all times. I think that, if the OP presents pictures, he's simply providing additional evidence against himself.

justalayman

When a city enacts a blanket parking ordinance it must be posted to be enforceable. I see nothing wrong with putting the parking time prohibitions on every sign post in the city. It is an seperate sign. I see no reason a person would be confused.

LdiJ

When a city enacts a blanket parking ordinance it must be posted to be enforceable. I see nothing wrong with putting the parking time prohibitions on every sign post in the city. It is an seperate sign. I see no reason a person would be confused.
You have your opinion. I have mine. The OP might as well see what the judge thinks.

kat9384

I won my case

I won my case and I will be refunded $106. I did take pictures of where I parked with the sign the day of the ticket. Then, I took two photographs of similar signs in the municipality which are interpreted that you can park there other than overnight for the one and during the rush hour traffic for the other. Fortunately, I didn't have to use them or even defend myself other than saying I misinterpreted the sign, and I appologize for parking there. Neither the judge nor the police officer offered any other information on the subject, and I didn't feel the need to further discuss it if they weren't going to find me guilty of the offense. I do, however, still think it's misleading, but I'll be more aware of "seperate" signs in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">