• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friendcalled5

I'm a U.S. citizen (NJ) that frequently visits Toronto to see my wife (while we await her immigration status to be cleared - long story) and have been told by a few Toronto meter maids not to worry about parking tickets, because any car registered outside of Ontario can not be enforced. Now, this information was told to me by different meter cops at different times.

My question is - on my last visit I rented a car after flying to Toronto. I was parked (legally) in my wife's buildings parking garage. However, upon coming home late one night I forgot to put the parking pass (given to me by building's gate guard) in the window and ended up getting a parking ticket at 3:35am! The rental is registered in Ontario. Should/do I pay it? To fight the ticket I have to go in person to a municipality (I am home in Jersey now). Will the rental company come after me or does it just disappear like my tickets for a NJ registered car would?

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

I'm a U.S. citizen (NJ) that frequently visits Toronto to see my wife (while we await her immigration status to be cleared - long story) and have been told by a few Toronto meter maids not to worry about parking tickets, because any car registered outside of Ontario can not be enforced. Now, this information was told to me by different meter cops at different times.

My question is - on my last visit I rented a car after flying to Toronto. I was parked (legally) in my wife's buildings parking garage. However, upon coming home late one night I forgot to put the parking pass (given to me by building's gate guard) in the window and ended up getting a parking ticket at 3:35am! The rental is registered in Ontario. Should/do I pay it? To fight the ticket I have to go in person to a municipality (I am home in Jersey now). Will the rental company come after me or does it just disappear like my tickets for a NJ registered car would?
The moderators of this site moved your post from the 2005 thread where it was originally posted. This forum prefers, instead of tacking a question on to a very old thread (especially one that has facts that differ in significant ways from the original) that a new thread is started.

To answer your question about whether or not to pay the parking ticket you received on the rental, the answer is yes, you should pay the ticket - if you wish to rent a car again when you visit Ontario - or, if you think you were unfairly ticketed, you can choose to fight it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">