• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for Driving on Expired Driver's License in L.A. Ca.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardoplugins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Thanks for reading
I was stopped in a Police checkpoint in Van Nuys, Ca. and my driver's license was expired, unfortunately I have no way to renew it, so I just checked in the Van Nuys Court and they told me the charge is currently a misdemeanor so I want to try to do something to reduce the charge to just an infraction because a misdemeanor will affect me considerably in my inmigration procedures,

The only previous ticket I have had in the past was a speding ticket in 2006 in Riverside County and in that moment I did not have my wallet and license with me but the CHP officer checked my license number in his computer and it was ok and he wrote the charge code: 12951(A)vc D.L. NIP, as "correctable" and the court only charged $ 10 when I showed my D.L. to the judge, I also paid the speeding charge and I did traffic school and all the procedures on time and I received the final OK docs. (and I double checked everything)

So do you guys think that previous ticket in 2006 in other county will affect me if I want to try to ask the reduction of this current expired license ticket misdemeanor to an infraction ?, this is the first time I receive a code: 12500(a)vc

but besides I can not renew my D.L. and have no job and no savings to afford a lawyer to help me in court (the cheaper I could find is $750), So I don't know if there could be any chance to be helped in court by their FORMER Van Nuys court "PUBLIC DEFENDER" because this is a misdemeanor charge, but I tried to ask this to their Public Defender department and their clerk told me that the right day of the court trial I have to ask to the court if they can asign a Public defender to me because I can not afford and external one, and the court will decide and check in that moment if they can/want assign me one or can not,
so I don't know what is the real chance if they want to assign me one, and if they do I don't know if he/she can actually do something to help me to reduce the charge to infraction

Thanks for your attention

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Thanks for reading
I was stopped in a Police checkpoint in Van Nuys, Ca. and my driver's license was expired, unfortunately I have no way to renew it, so I just checked in the Van Nuys Court and they told me the charge is currently a misdemeanor so I want to try to do something to reduce the charge to just an infraction because a misdemeanor will affect me considerably in my inmigration procedures,

The only previous ticket I have had in the past was a speding ticket in 2006 in Riverside County and in that moment I did not have my wallet and license with me but the CHP officer checked my license number in his computer and it was ok and he wrote the charge code: 12951(A)vc D.L. NIP, as "correctable" and the court only charged $ 10 when I showed my D.L. to the judge, I also paid the speeding charge and I did traffic school and all the procedures on time and I received the final OK docs. (and I double checked everything)

So do you guys think that previous ticket in 2006 in other county will affect me if I want to try to ask the reduction of this current expired license ticket misdemeanor to an infraction ?, this is the first time I receive a code: 12500(a)vc

but besides I can not renew my D.L. and have no job and no savings to afford a lawyer to help me in court (the cheaper I could find is $750), So I don't know if there could be any chance to be helped in court by their FORMER Van Nuys court "PUBLIC DEFENDER" because this is a misdemeanor charge, but I tried to ask this to their Public Defender department and their clerk told me that the right day of the court trial I have to ask to the court if they can asign a Public defender to me because I can not afford and external one, and the court will decide and check in that moment if they can/want assign me one or can not,
so I don't know what is the real chance if they want to assign me one, and if they do I don't know if he/she can actually do something to help me to reduce the charge to infraction

Thanks for your attention
Was the reason that you could not renew your driver's license your immigration status? Did you have insurance?

sandyclaus

Was the reason that you could not renew your driver's license your immigration status? Did you have insurance?
Yes, according to his PREVIOUS thread here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/speeding-other-moving-violations-13/how-reduce-misdemeanor-infraction-expired-drivers-licence-579751.html, he had an immigration issue that prevented him from legally renewing his DL (it would require him to leave the country and re-enter, he said).

Ricardo, please keep all of your discussions on this issue in the SAME thread, not by starting a new one.

CourtClerk

The only immigration issue I can think of that would stop him from renewing his license would be him being in the country illegally....

because you can't renew your license without a social security number and you can't have/get a social security number if you're not supposed to be here in the first place.

sandyclaus

The only immigration issue I can think of that would stop him from renewing his license would be him being in the country illegally....

because you can't renew your license without a social security number and you can't have/get a social security number if you're not supposed to be here in the first place.
That was kind of the gist of the conversation we had about this subject in OP's original thread. And since he is apparently here ILLEGALLY, he was also worried about getting in trouble with immigration for the charge and having it affect his ability to LEGALLY immigrate. His concern is with it being a MISDEMEANOR charge instead of an infraction.

Last edited by a moderator:

ricardoplugins

Driving on Expired Driver's License in L.A. Ca.

First of all, thanks to everyone for your time, and I do apollogize if my question offended to someone, and I had to open a new Thread because it was closed by someone (not me) and most I got from there were attacks from a person

you need to know that any legal turist with an I-94 can totally legally obtain a D.L. in USA (which it was my case), again with my respect since I have done questions to these forums your answer have always been kind of racist, I'm sorry but it's truth, I have seen that you have something against immigrants, but I don't want to open a discussion about inmmigrants because that is what you may be expecting. Some other persons here approach to users with respect but you are no exactly one of them
By the way, you have no right to recall some of your personal previous thoughts about me or answer for me, if I don't give more details about my actual immigration procedures it's because I try to avoid that this thread goes for a different path than the original question (I see that Sandyclaus already did that for me)

I'm in this country because I'm studying and getting a pos degree and a misdemeanor can affect me in grants too. But I won't keep arguing about this

Thanks to all and once again I do apollogize if one of my answers or questions have offended somebody, honestly it's not my intention
Thanks to everyone for your valuable time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dude, you are not in this country legally. That has nothing to do with your race.

ricardoplugins

discriminatory if you prefer, also he is offending with personal conclusions, sorry if I won't keep answering about this topic
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
discriminatory if you prefer, also he is offending with personal conclusions, sorry if I won't keep answering about this topic
Thanks
You fail to follow the law (in multiple ways) yet you expect the courts to grant you leniency. I don't see it happening.

LdiJ

Dude, you are not in this country legally. That has nothing to do with your race.
Where do you get that he is here illegally? If he has a valid tourist visa he is here legally. He is not a legal resident but he is here legally.

ricardoplugins

Once again, I see that sandyclaus have something very personal against me and immigrants, you have no right to say what you said about falsified
Sr you don't understand that your comment is a very serious offense and its only your personal and very wrong thought, your comments are out of control and respect

once again you are very wrong about your comment and you are not able to control your discriminatory comments, with my respect you should receive a serious warning from the web masters supervisors, you need to control your personal opinions about immigrants, besides you always want deviate my questions to your discriminatory thoughts

You won, I will have to leave this web, I hope you learn to control your discrimination or racism against immigrants, you HAVE NO RIGHT to accuse without solid proofs, you are living in a fantasy (you are very wrong)

sandyclaus

Once again, I see that sandyclaus have something very personal against me and immigrants, you have no right to say what you said about falsified
Sr you don't understand that your comment is a very serious offense and its only your personal and very wrong thought, your comments are out of control and respect

once again you are very wrong about your comment and you are not able to control your discriminatory comments, with my respect you should receive a serious warning from the web masters supervisors, you need to control your personal opinions about immigrants, besides you always want deviate my questions to your discriminatory thoughts

You won, I will have to leave this web, I hope you learn to control your discrimination or racism against immigrants, you HAVE NO RIGHT to accuse without solid proofs, you are living in a fantasy (you are very wrong)
I have absolutely nothing against immigrants, provided that they enter my country legally and follow the law. So far, you have presented no evidence that you have done either. (You used a tourist visa to come to my country, then entered school and remained. And you have committed crimes in my country that put me and EVERY OTHER CITIZEN at risk, by driving without a valid license.)

My comments are NOT personal. They would apply to ANY illegal immigrant who feels that their circumstances don't subject them to the same laws as a legal immigrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">