• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for expired plates in Chicago... Any way to contest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaq2g

What is the name of your state? IL

My plate sticker expired in Dec. 2006. I forgot to get a new sticker and got a ticket on the 1/02/07. I was also under the impression that there is usually a 1 month grace period. I got a sticker the next day, is there any way to contest it?

seniorjudge

Q: is there any way to contest it?

A: No. Reason? "...My plate sticker expired in Dec. 2006. I forgot to get a new sticker...."

wirry1422

"is there any way to contest" Yes you can contest. Check the box for "appeal in-person" and return the orange envelope immediately. Only do this if you have the time to appear between 9a -5p M-F during a one week period several months in the future (day, time and location of your choice). Although, you can appeal, you have no legal reason to win. However, if you bring with you the proof that you purchased your new sticker on 1/02/07, then the administrative judge may be merciful and throw out the ticket. They do have some discretion. However, the odds of that happening are about 20%. So definitly don't do the appeal if it means missing work, its not worth it for a $50 non-moving violation (and forget about the mail-in appeal, you will certainly lose). Just pay the fine within 21 days, so that the fine will not double. But if you have the time and willpower, then go for it. As long as you're not missing work, you have nothing more to lose but time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">