• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for expired tags 3 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aminetta

3 years ago, my friend drove with me from AZ to OH to visit my family. While there, she was driving by herself and got a ticket for my expired AZ tags. ( i was unaware they were expired- I had just purchased the car from a dealer a month before.) Is she legally responsible for paying the ticket or can she write a letter to the judge in OH explaining the situation and request the ticket be transferred to my name in efforts to get her license back?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
3 years ago, my friend drove with me from AZ to OH to visit my family. While there, she was driving by herself and got a ticket for my expired AZ tags. ( i was unaware they were expired- I had just purchased the car from a dealer a month before.) Is she legally responsible for paying the ticket or can she write a letter to the judge in OH explaining the situation and request the ticket be transferred to my name in efforts to get her license back?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why go through all that trouble. Why don't YOU just pay the ticket for her, as you should have done nearly 3 years ago?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, she's legally responsible. And I would say you are morally responsible.

While I'm not familiar with Arizona law, I find it hard to believe you purchased a car from a dealer and it already had plates on it which were just about expired. Was the registration even in your name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">