• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket For Expired Tags In different State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhita

Virginia
Hi I am a Virginia resident. I traveled to DC not knowing my tags expired by a month. Of course got a ticket. My question is: Is the ticket disputable since the car is registered in Virginia and not DC?

justalayman

Rhita said:
Virginia
Hi I am a Virginia resident. I traveled to DC not knowing my tags expired by a month. Of course got a ticket. My question is: Is the ticket disputable since the car is registered in Virginia and not DC?
Do you have a magic registration that somehow becomes valid in DC when driving there. The fact is DC requires cars to be licensed/registered. They allow vehicles licensd/registered in other states as acceptable to fulfill their requirements. You had neither a DC registration nor a valid registration from another state. You see, actually you car was not registered in Virginia either at the time. So the only thing you have is a VIrginia title and no registration.

Bottom line: NO

BelizeBreeze

Rhita said:
Virginia
No****************************

gawm

However, if you get proper registration before your court date the judge may reduce the fine.

efflandt

Why do people think what gawm thinks? Maybe if you have registration renewal dated "before" the violation and just forgot to put the sticker on. But why should anyone accept registration dated "after" the violation (which would make such a citation pointless)?

Likewise if proof of insurance is required. If you do have insurance and just not the card on you, they usually drop it. But why would anyone accept proof of insurance dated "after" a violation?

MoneyShot

I've been told there is no reciprocity between DC and Virginia on traffic infractions - which no doubt accounts for all the DC drivers acting like idiots on the Beltway as they approach the border or the Wilson Bridge. If this is true, then the solution is just visit DMV for new tags (tell the clerk you feel your current plate contains "unlucky numbers" and you need a new set) and avoid driving in the Peoples' Republic of DC. Even if you do enter the district, they'll be looking for a car with your old plates so street parking and finding your car booted isn't a concern. You'll start getting letters from a DC collection agency with a fine that's doubled, but that can best be dealt with as a credit reporting problem. ;)

Yes, I have a problem with DC government and their crackhead leaders... :mad: The chances of the judge reducing the fine are nil. You're dealing with a totalitarian state that uses red light cameras as a major source of revenue and also wants to impose a commuter tax on residents of VA and MD just because they can't seem to manage their own budget. They'll squeeze every dime out of non-residents and pass the funds on to some street thugs as part of a "social program" or maybe pay for Marion (Mayor-for-Life) Barry's next trip to drug rehab.

gawm

efflandt said:
Why do people think what gawm thinks? Maybe if you have registration renewal dated "before" the violation and just forgot to put the sticker on. But why should anyone accept registration dated "after" the violation (which would make such a citation pointless)?

Likewise if proof of insurance is required. If you do have insurance and just not the card on you, they usually drop it. But why would anyone accept proof of insurance dated "after" a violation?

Because it's true! At least here in Arizona. I have had a driving on a suspended license, no insurance and no registration ticket(about $2500 for maximum fines) dropped down to $200. I explained to the prosecutor and judge my financial situation at the time, apologized for my actions and showed them that I corrected the situation. I also seen many other people get their fines cut in half by showing they got registration or insurance AFTER THE FACT. You must not attend traffic court too much, GOOD FOR YOU!

sukharev

efflandt said:

Common sense, my dear. Many people screw up because of other troubles in their lives. Judges are typically lenient when they see a good person who made a mistake, but rectified it. This is actually built into the system, but the size of the break is very much random, and the only correlation I found was with the time of the day. If you are first in line, the judge is more likely to let you go, so that they can themselves go home sooner (after listening to 200 people with same stories over and over again).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">