• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket issued 10 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NMA1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX but citation issued in LA
A ticket for no proof of insurance and driving without headlights was issued to me back in April 2001, and was just reported to the "Warrant Enforcement Division" on August 30, 2011. When I called to inquire with the Village of Dixie Inn (where the ticket was issued, LA), I was told that due to a"backlog" of documents, a bench warrant was issued back when I didn't appear in court, but the ticket was just now reported. I was also told that my DL would be suspended. I was a student in LA at the time and received a copy of the ticket which bears my signature. While I don't dispute I was given the ticket, I don't believe that I should be responsible for the court costs and fines that are being assessed. Is there a time limit to "report" these issues, and how true is it that my TX DL will be suspended for a 10 year old ticket from LA? I am a resident of TX and have since renewed my DL, purchased a new vehicle and renewed registration, and not to mention received a ticket since then. Is it worth me trying to hire a lawyer to resolve, or can I send correspondence disputing the payment? Please advise. I thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

Is it worth me trying to hire a lawyer to resolve, or can I send correspondence disputing the payment?
Absolutely hire a lawyer.

1 - Your driving priveldge is valuable - defend it.

2 - There is NO way you are going to handle this short of paying or going to "Dixie Inn" - that is more than you wnat to spend.

3 - Even if no reduction is made, don't you want to know you tried?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You never showed up in court as scheduled so why do you think you shouldn't be held responsible?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">