• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for not paying Muni-Meter...But I have Meter Stub/Receipt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kl323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hey all,

I am writing from NYC. Today, I parked my car in a legal spot. I paid my parking fee at one of those muni-meters on the street. Of course, I would place the meter receipt on my dash before leaving.

However, when I return to my car, I got a $65 ticket for failure to display muni-meter receipt.

Do I have a case? I'm 100% certain that my ticket was place on my dash (when I went back to the car, it was there).

As far as the ticket goes, the only complaint check off was "FAILURE TO DISPLAY RECEIPT." There were no additional comments made.

Note that this ticket was a WRITTEN ticket. It's not one of those printer violation notices. Could this be from a police offer instead? Do I have an argument to fight the fee? I have my receipt and credit card receipts to prove time, date, and purchase was made by me.

Thanks!

kl323

Does the receipt indicate the exact part of the dash the receipt needed to be kept? And if so, is that where it was kept?
It does not indicate that.

I always place the receipt next to my registration+inspection sticker so that when the officer walks up to my car, it is easily readable (w/ no need to twist and turn their head).

Reta2011

Parking ticket NYC

You have a good chance to fight that ticket, see the pack of the ticket, fight it by mail and mail all your supporting documents along with it. Make sure the meter rules applied to you at the time, u can't park private car in commercial zone even if paid the meter, make sure you don't send the original documents. Keep the original and mail them copies.
Couple of weeks later NYC will offer you a reduced fine offer, just refuse it then you will tell you that the ticket got dissmissed.

Check the ticket for any wrong info, you can get it dissmissed that way as well.

I am not a lawyer, I drive a limo in NYC for the past 12 yrs.

patstew

How about taking a less combative measure first? Call the issuing entity and explain *nicely* that you don't understand why you got the ticket. Generally it's because the ticket fell or blew off the dash (doesn't sound like this was the problem for you, though) OR the puff of air from closing your door flipped it over and it was unreadable.

It may be as simple as providing a photocopy of the ticket and the receipt to have it voided or reduced to a warning. It's worth a try.

brahim

I was in the same situation. I took that parking stub to court. I stuck to my story that the ticket was on the dashboard and i had to confirm that about 4 times until the judge dismissed the ticket.

What happened to me was that I paid but when i closed the door, my ticket might have been blown off the dashboard and I got a ticket. But i kept that munimeter stub and its all good.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How about taking a less combative measure first? Call the issuing entity and explain *nicely*...
Uh, that doesn't work in New York City.

No one in any agency is going to entertain a phone call about a parking ticket. Especially these days.

HighwayMan

Of course, I would place the meter receipt on my dash before leaving.
You WOULD or you DID??

Note that this ticket was a WRITTEN ticket. It's not one of those printer violation notices. Could this be from a police offer instead?
And what if it is? What difference would it make?

Your chances may be slim. The violation is for failing to display the receipt and not for failure to pay the meter. The fact that you have a receipt and can prove that does not prove it was displayed.

Go online and look at an image of the ticket and look for problems with it, since the service copy is generally not too readable. That may be your best chance.

HighwayMan

What happened to me was that I paid but when i closed the door, my ticket might have been blown off the dashboard
Might have? You don't know? So you lied in court and got lucky that the judge eventually got fed up and wanted to get rid of you.

If it did blow off the dashboard then you were guilty. That is not an excuse. The violation is for failure to display the receipt, NOT for failure to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">