• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for Parking on the Wrong Side of the Street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MVE

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
Hi
Since I was raining heavily, I had to park on the wrong side of a sparsely used bylane. And, I have been given two ticket for 48 bucks each!!

I have seen a number of cars parked that way all over the place (on the same road and elsewhere) and in fact there is no rule mentioned in the MVC guide book that it is illegal to park in the wrong direction. It was not as if I was driving in the opposite direction on a busy highway and endangering other people's lives.

What are the implications of the same?? Can I contest the ticket?? Can I be fined for the same offence twice??

You Are Guilty

MVE said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
Hi
Since I was raining heavily, I had to park on the wrong side of a sparsely used bylane. And, I have been given two ticket for 48 bucks each!!

I have seen a number of cars parked that way all over the place (on the same road and elsewhere) and in fact there is no rule mentioned in the MVC guide book that it is illegal to park in the wrong direction. It was not as if I was driving in the opposite direction on a busy highway and endangering other people's lives.

What are the implications of the same?? Can I contest the ticket?? Can I be fined for the same offence twice??

39:4-135 said:
Parking; direction and side of street; angle parking; one-way street

The operator of a vehicle shall not stop, stand or park the vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of traffic, on the right-hand side of the road and with the curb side of the vehicle within six inches of the edge of the roadway, except as follows:

a. Upon those streets which have been designated by ordinance and have been marked or signed for angle parking, vehicles shall be parked at the angle to the curb designated and indicated by the ordinance and marks or signs.

b. Upon one-way streets, local authorities may permit parking of vehicles parallel with the left-hand edge of the roadway headed in the direction of traffic, on the left-hand side of the road and with the curb side of the vehicle within six inches of the edge of the roadway.
If you didn't park according to the above directions, you're guilty. As far as the number of tickets you received, you can legally get one every minute you are parked illegally. If you only got two, you are ahead of the game. Move your car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">