+ Reply to Thread
    MVE
    MVE is offline Junior Member

Ticket for Parking on the Wrong Side of the Street

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
    Hi
    Since I was raining heavily, I had to park on the wrong side of a sparsely used bylane. And, I have been given two ticket for 48 bucks each!!

I have seen a number of cars parked that way all over the place (on the same road and elsewhere) and in fact there is no rule mentioned in the MVC guide book that it is illegal to park in the wrong direction. It was not as if I was driving in the opposite direction on a busy highway and endangering other people's lives.

What are the implications of the same?? Can I contest the ticket?? Can I be fined for the same offence twice??
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MVE
    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
    Hi
    Since I was raining heavily, I had to park on the wrong side of a sparsely used bylane. And, I have been given two ticket for 48 bucks each!!

I have seen a number of cars parked that way all over the place (on the same road and elsewhere) and in fact there is no rule mentioned in the MVC guide book that it is illegal to park in the wrong direction. It was not as if I was driving in the opposite direction on a busy highway and endangering other people's lives.

What are the implications of the same?? Can I contest the ticket?? Can I be fined for the same offence twice??

Quote Originally Posted by 39:4-135
    Parking; direction and side of street; angle parking; one-way street

The operator of a vehicle shall not stop, stand or park the vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of traffic, on the right-hand side of the road and with the curb side of the vehicle within six inches of the edge of the roadway, except as follows:

a. Upon those streets which have been designated by ordinance and have been marked or signed for angle parking, vehicles shall be parked at the angle to the curb designated and indicated by the ordinance and marks or signs.

b. Upon one-way streets, local authorities may permit parking of vehicles parallel with the left-hand edge of the roadway headed in the direction of traffic, on the left-hand side of the road and with the curb side of the vehicle within six inches of the edge of the roadway.
    If you didn't park according to the above directions, you're guilty. As far as the number of tickets you received, you can legally get one every minute you are parked illegally. If you only got two, you are ahead of the game. Move your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
    dequeendistress is offline Senior Member
    Or..Don't move your car, it is afterall, adding to local revenue.