• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for plate violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KateP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I parked on the street in Denver recently and got a $75 ticket for violation of ordinance# 54-62 (see below).

My vehicle was properly registered and my licence plates were displayed normally. However, I never stuck on the tiny little year sticker that they sent me in the mail last time I registered the vehicle. It was in my glove compartment.... Dumb, I know.

Do I have grounds for a dispute? There is no mention of the sticker on the definition of "license plate" below. What should I do?

Thanks much!
Kate

Sec. 54-62. - License plates.

(a)

License plate required. It shall be unlawful for any person to drive, stop, park or for the owner or person in charge of any vehicle to cause or knowingly permit to be driven, stopped or parked on any street or highway within the city or any property that is owned by the city, any vehicle that has been assigned a license plate or plates, pursuant to Colorado law, unless the license plate or plates assigned to the vehicle for the current registration year is properly attached to and displayed on the vehicle, in accordance with the laws of the state.

(b)

"License plate" construed: For purposes of this section, the term "license plate" shall include license plates, number plates, personalized license plates, special license plates and other plates, both permanent and temporary, issued pursuant to Colorado law.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I parked on the street in Denver recently and got a $75 ticket for violation of ordinance# 54-62 (see below).

My vehicle was properly registered and my licence plates were displayed normally. However, I never stuck on the tiny little year sticker that they sent me in the mail last time I registered the vehicle. It was in my glove compartment.... Dumb, I know.

Do I have grounds for a dispute? There is no mention of the sticker on the definition of "license plate" below. What should I do?

Thanks much!
Kate

Sec. 54-62. - License plates.

(a)

License plate required. It shall be unlawful for any person to drive, stop, park or for the owner or person in charge of any vehicle to cause or knowingly permit to be driven, stopped or parked on any street or highway within the city or any property that is owned by the city, any vehicle that has been assigned a license plate or plates, pursuant to Colorado law, unless the license plate or plates assigned to the vehicle for the current registration year is properly attached to and displayed on the vehicle, in accordance with the laws of the state.

(b)

"License plate" construed: For purposes of this section, the term "license plate" shall include license plates, number plates, personalized license plates, special license plates and other plates, both permanent and temporary, issued pursuant to Colorado law.
If the sticker wasn't on the plate, then your current plate wasn't properly attached to the vehicle.

The Occultist

While the courts have no requirement to show you any leniency, if you prove that your registration was current and that your plate is now in compliance, you may end up finding such leniency, whether it be in the form of a lesser fine or perhaps even an outright dismissal.

KateP

Hmmmm. It is a printed electronic ticket but there is a section for "Complainant Signature" and it is blank. Are you guys serious? Do I have a case with this? That sounds silly. I was pretty prepared to have to pay this.

The officer's name is printed on there as well as his badge number.

Sadly, I don't know how to post a picture of the citation on here but if you all feel it's necessary, I will figure it out.

asiny

Hmmmm. It is a printed electronic ticket but there is a section for "Complainant Signature" and it is blank. Are you guys serious? Do I have a case with this? That sounds silly. I was pretty prepared to have to pay this.

The officer's name is printed on there as well as his badge number.

Sadly, I don't know how to post a picture of the citation on here but if you all feel it's necessary, I will figure it out.
1) DON'T POST THE TICKET-

2) The other users are making fun of davidmcbeth3's request to post the ticket-

3) The Occultist's earlier response- about becoming compliant- is the best direction to go.. the worst that can happen- you have to pay the full cost of the fine.

**off topic**
I don't know what it is with some of the users who keep asking for people to "post the ticket"... 'some' argue they don't like asking questions to get answers.. in that case, stop posting.

KateP

Okay. Thanks everyone. I'll see if they are lenient if I show them the plate looks good now.

davidmcbeth3

Denverite says, yep, Zig's correct!
Well, if the ticket is not completed correctly, this may not be true ... hence my desire (or recommendation) to have the ticket posted or a link to the posted ticket.

Parking tickets are more strict in this regard than speeding tickets for example.

Being guilty & being found guilty are 2 different things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">