• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in a small plaza, no signs, said private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gangelo

I parked in NJ in a small plaza with a Chinese take away, a tanning salon and maybe a pizza place... There were a total of approximately 30 parking spots. No signs regarding parking. I assumed it was ok to leave the car there for a few hours. I got o ticket for "parking on private property", ordinance code 185.8.2
How could I know that it was a private property? Shouldn't there be a sign?
What should I do?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

justalayman

were you a patron of any of the shops in the plaza?

Other than that, why would you think the parking lot is anything but private property? I don't know any plazas or malls the government owns so any of the attached parking lots are most likely going to be private property.

xylene

No signs regarding parking. I assumed it was ok to leave the car there for a few hours.
You made a false assumption regarding NJ law and were ticketed.

You could (and should) have taken the lack of signage permitting medium term non-customer parking as a warning that public parking was NOT allowed.

This punitive ticket has corrected your faulty assumption and in the future you can look to place your vehicle where signage actively permits it when looking for legal medium term parking.

Last edited:

LizzieB

I parked in NJ in a small plaza with a Chinese take away, a tanning salon and maybe a pizza place... There were a total of approximately 30 parking spots. No signs regarding parking. I assumed it was ok to leave the car there for a few hours. I got o ticket for "parking on private property", ordinance code 185.8.2
How could I know that it was a private property? Shouldn't there be a sign?
What should I do?

Thanks a lot
You're not going to thank me for saying this, but what should you do? Pay the fine. Be thankful the car wasn't towed.

Somebody (individual or entity) owns that land, not the public. Next time, why don't you patronize the stores which the parking spaces are there for their customers. Ie. You would have been one of their customers.

Obviously, you can't do that AFTER you get your ticket. ;)

gangelo

all right, got it....
thanks for your answers... Still doesn't sound very fair to me but I got it, I'll pay the ticket and park somewhere else next time even if that parking lot is completely empty.

justalayman

all right, got it....
thanks for your answers... Still doesn't sound very fair to me but I got it, I'll pay the ticket and park somewhere else next time even if that parking lot is completely empty.
how many cars are there is irrelevant. It is privately owned so the owners can enforce rules on their property.

Would it be fair for me to park my car in your driveway while I visited your neighbors? Same situation.

LizzieB

Yes but he apparently still did not understand why it is wrong. I was simply trying to give him an example that might make more sense to him.
Don't get me wrong. You did do what you meant to do. And after you did, he raised the white flag. That's all that I was saying.

Sliverplump just has a problem with people who know more than she.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">