• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket in University parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RHD22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Here is the situation: It was the night that every student on campus came back from the mandatory spring break vacation. I pulled into the lot (for which I have a permit) and saw two cars parked in the middle of the lot, a few in handicapped spots and one taking up the motorcycle parking, as well as cars on the street parked in the no parking zones. I parked my car in the RHD (Resident Hall Director) spot for 20 minutes to unload my luggage. My girlfriend and I were alternating trips so almost ALWAYS the car had someone by it. In the small window where there was no one by the car, I received a FIFTY DOLLAR parking ticket. The ticket was written by an RHD because "it is in their contract" that they can give tickets to those spots and no others.

My questions are this: If the sign said, "vehicles will be towed" and didn't mention any fine, can I be ticketed? Is that an actual ticket? It seems no different than any building owner giving someone a ticket for taking their private spot.

I'm trying to find laws on the matter and came up with one that said the only people who can give tickets are police officers, or people who have been deemed officers of the peace.

Please help!! I'm appealing this on Thursday and have hit a wall! Thank you!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Here is the situation: It was the night that every student on campus came back from the mandatory spring break vacation. I pulled into the lot (for which I have a permit) and saw two cars parked in the middle of the lot, a few in handicapped spots and one taking up the motorcycle parking, as well as cars on the street parked in the no parking zones. I parked my car in the RHD (Resident Hall Director) spot for 20 minutes to unload my luggage. My girlfriend and I were alternating trips so almost ALWAYS the car had someone by it. In the small window where there was no one by the car, I received a FIFTY DOLLAR parking ticket. The ticket was written by an RHD because "it is in their contract" that they can give tickets to those spots and no others.

My questions are this: If the sign said, "vehicles will be towed" and didn't mention any fine, can I be ticketed? Is that an actual ticket? It seems no different than any building owner giving someone a ticket for taking their private spot.

I'm trying to find laws on the matter and came up with one that said the only people who can give tickets are police officers, or people who have been deemed officers of the peace.

Please help!! I'm appealing this on Thursday and have hit a wall! Thank you!!
Appealing WHAT? You were improperly parked, per your own admission.

RHD22

I am going through the school's appeals process so I can hopefully get out of this ticket.

My question was if the RHD, a regular university employee, can give me a ticket that is binding. That employee is no different than a building's owner issuing a ticket and expecting a fee. It isn't public and the state statutes they say the parking regulations mention nothing about a non-police officer issuing tickets

cyjeff

Next time you pass a speed limit sign, find the spot where it mentions a fine for exceeding that speed.

The RHD may not be able to actually give a parking ticket that can be enforced by law... BUT, as a matter of university policy, that ticket, if left unpaid, could keep your from getting your diploma and/or transcript.

Face it... you knew you shouldn't have been there and parked there anyway. You are now angry that someone ticketed you for doing something you KNEW was wrong.

Now, you are trying to come up with some technicality that makes what you KNOW was wrong okay.

Pay the fine. Call it an education expense. After all, you learned something.

RHD22

or how about work signs saying that there will be a fine. it was a question. i didn't know. so i ASKED.

RHD22

My concern is that I will pay this fine, which is not the outcome I want it to be but so be it, but the RHD is not even eligible to give citations. If they are not, when should I pay the ticket?

cyjeff

My concern is that I will pay this fine, which is not the outcome I want it to be but so be it, but the RHD is not even eligible to give citations. If they are not, when should I pay the ticket?
On University property, the RHD DOES have that authority.

Now, it may not be the authority of a police officer to have this come before a judge... but the authority of a university that can and will withhold your diploma and transcript.

I want to make sure you think this through. You are going to go before the student judiciary and say you that refuse to recognize their authority? That they should have towed you instead?

That isn't going to fly very far.

RHD22

Yeah, I hear ya. I have been looking over the Wisconsin State Statutes that the parking regulations are based on and my questions arose when I didn't find a single thing in the statutes saying that RHDs are legitimate 'ticket-givers'

cyjeff

Yeah, I hear ya. I have been looking over the Wisconsin State Statutes that the parking regulations are based on and my questions arose when I didn't find a single thing in the statutes saying that RHDs are legitimate 'ticket-givers'
Okay.

You are not hearing me.

The RHD is NOT a police authority. However, they can and do send students to student judiciary every day for infractions that are not a crime.

You can fight it.

Start with admitting that you were parked in the space.
Then state that you don't recognize the authority of the RHD to enforce housing rules.

Have your parking sticker with you. It will be easier to return.

RHD22

I am saying that while I recognize their authority, if the state of Wisconsin does not state that Universities can designate civilians to give parking citations, I shouldn't have to pay the fine.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am saying that while I recognize their authority, if the state of Wisconsin does not state that Universities can designate civilians to give parking citations, I shouldn't have to pay the fine.
The state doesn't have to. This is a contractual matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">