• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed for being handicapped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedLight8567

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a parking ticket in San Francisco for parking at a parking meter without paying but I had a handicapped placard on the mirror since my passenger was handicapped. I sent in an appeal with a copy of the placard and a letter explaining the problem, but the San Francisco MTA says the ticket was valid and I still need to pay it. They gave me a chance to have a hearing, but I have to pay to get a hearing. How can they say the ticket is valid when the rules of handicapped placards clearly state that if it is shown in the window a person can park at a meter without paying?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will need to go to a hearing. Bring evidence that the placard was displayed. (The testimony of witnesses is evidence.) The amount you pay for the citation will be refunded if you are successful.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because they did. Just because you say differently does not mean they have to accept it.
California state law allows those who are properly using a handicap placard to park at meters without paying.

ETA: from http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22511_5.htm

V C Section 22511.5 Disabled Parking Authorized Parking Zones
Disabled Parking: Authorized Parking Zones

22511.5. (a) (1) A disabled person or disabled veteran displaying special license plates issued under Section 5007 or a distinguishing placard issued under Section 22511.55 or 22511.59 is allowed to park for unlimited periods in any of the following zones:

(A) In any restricted zone described in paragraph (5) of subdivision (a) of Section 21458 or on streets upon which preferential parking privileges and height limits have been given pursuant to Section 22507.

(B) In any parking zone that is restricted as to the length of time parking is permitted as indicated by a sign erected pursuant to a local ordinance.

(2) A disabled person or disabled veteran is allowed to park in any metered parking space without being required to pay parking meter fees.

(3) This subdivision does not apply to a zone for which state law or ordinance absolutely prohibits stopping, parking, or standing of all vehicles, or which the law or ordinance reserves for special types of vehicles, or to the parking of a vehicle that is involved in the operation of a street vending business.

(b) A disabled person or disabled veteran is allowed to park a motor vehicle displaying a special disabled person license plate or placard issued by a foreign jurisdiction with the same parking privileges authorized in this code for any motor vehicle displaying a special license plate or a distinguishing placard issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Amended Sec. 12, Ch. 404, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Amended Sec. 11, Ch. 478, Stats. 2010. Effective January 1, 2011.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

I'm on my mobile or else I would look it up myself, but does the statute define "disabled person"? Because it sounds like the "disabled person" was a passenger, thus did not park anything. If the statute covers disabled passengers, then the OP's argument is that much stronger. Otherwise, unless the OP is disabled, I can see why the ticket was issued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">