• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed Fire Lane in 45 seconds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cw18306

What is the name of your state? Gaston, SC

I went to a pizza chain in a strip mall. On approach, there was 1 occupied car waiting in front and no customers in the pickup only pizza place. A man was walking toward the other car when I pulled in directly in front of that car. It took me 10 seconds to exit my car and approach the counter. Another 25 seconds to receive my order, pay and exit. As soon as I exited the same man (local town cop talking to the other car) walked up to me and asked me for my drivers license and registration. I replied, "for what?" He said, "you are parked in a fire lane". I had never been there before, it was at 8PM on a Saturday night, I didn't notice the painted lines in the parking lot, and there were no posted signs. Keep in mind that he was at the other car when I exited mine. (if he was trying to "prevent" a violation he could have said: you can't park there, you are in a fire lane.) What he did was not say anything to give away he was a cop to allow me to commit the violation. I figured he would, at most, give me a warning. He ran my and the other persons license and registration. He gave me a ticket for $100. I replied, "seriously?" He said "you were parked in a fire lane" I said "I was there for 45 seconds!" He paused and said "you were parked in a fire lane". I thought a servant of the people was to prevent crime and infractions. This was clearly not his intent. His intent was to write tickets! Get this, it turns out he is the new chief of police! I thought Barney Fife was giving Emma Watson a ticket for J Walking, but it was actually Sheriff Taylor!

Does a cop have jurisdiction in a strip mall, that has no sign saying so, to give parking tickets?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

I went to a pizza chain in a strip mall. On approach, there was 1 occupied car waiting in front and no customers in the pickup only pizza place. A man was walking toward the other car when I pulled in directly in front of that car. It took me 10 seconds to exit my car and approach the counter. Another 25 seconds to receive my order, pay and exit. As soon as I exited the same man (local town cop talking to the other car) walked up to me and asked me for my drivers license and registration. I replied, "for what?" He said, "you are parked in a fire lane". I had never been there before, it was at 8PM on a Saturday night, I didn't notice the painted lines in the parking lot, and there were no posted signs. Keep in mind that he was at the other car when I exited mine. (if he was trying to "prevent" a violation he could have said: you can't park there, you are in a fire lane.) What he did was not say anything to give away he was a cop to allow me to commit the violation. I figured he would, at most, give me a warning. He ran my and the other persons license and registration. He gave me a ticket for $100. I replied, "seriously?" He said "you were parked in a fire lane" I said "I was there for 45 seconds!" He paused and said "you were parked in a fire lane". I thought a servant of the people was to prevent crime and infractions. This was clearly not his intent. His intent was to write tickets! Get this, it turns out he is the new chief of police! I thought Barney Fife was giving Emma Watson a ticket for J Walking, but it was actually Sheriff Taylor!

Does a cop have jurisdiction in a strip mall, that has no sign saying so, to give parking tickets?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Sure, you claim that you may have only been there for 45 seconds, but that was 45 seconds longer than you were allowed to be there.

No parking in a fire lane means just that - not, "You can park here for less than a minute, but not over that", and not "You can park here until they need it for fire or emergency personnel". No parking means no parking, not for a minute, not for 10 minutes, NOT AT ALL.

You're just upset because you got caught. Pay the ticket and stop trying to make excuses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

It was a marked fire lane and you admitted to parking in it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Keep in mind that he was at the other car when I exited mine. (if he was trying to "prevent" a violation he could have said: you can't park there, you are in a fire lane.)
The police are under NO obligation to issue a warning for anything.

Your description of events indicates you are guilty.

cw18306

OK...it looks like we have selective reading here. Highwayman, I never asked if a cop is obligated to give a warning. It just seemed reasonable for the situation. If I were a cop and saw someone about to unintentionally do something wrong, I would try to prevent it verses "here comes and easy ticket". And for the record, the fire lane lines are faded and barely visible. The question I asked was Does a cop have jurisdiction in a strip mall, that has no sign saying so, to give parking tickets?

Zigner, obviously I was and never implied otherwise. Does a cop have jurisdiction in a strip mall, that has no sign saying so, to give parking tickets?

sandyclaus, I am making no excuses or "upset for being caught". The painted lines are very faded and I had not been there before. Therefore, I didn't realize I was parking in a fire lane. Who doesn't know you can't park in a fire lane? I didn't post here for sympathy or to vent. Your responses have no value.

sandyclaus

OK...it looks like we have selective reading here. Highwayman, I never asked if a cop is obligated to give a warning. It just seemed reasonable for the situation. If I were a cop and saw someone about to unintentionally do something wrong, I would try to prevent it verses "here comes and easy ticket". And for the record, the fire lane lines are faded and barely visible. The question I asked was Does a cop have jurisdiction in a strip mall, that has no sign saying so, to give parking tickets?

Zigner, obviously I was and never implied otherwise. Does a cop have jurisdiction in a strip mall, that has no sign saying so, to give parking tickets?

sandyclaus, I am making no excuses or "upset for being caught". The painted lines are very faded and I had not been there before. Therefore, I didn't realize I was parking in a fire lane. Who doesn't know you can't park in a fire lane? I didn't post here for sympathy or to vent. Your responses have no value.
The simple answer to your bolded question is YES. they DO have jurisdiction in a strip mall.

And for the record, YOU are the one who is making a huge deal out of parking in a fire lane for 45 seconds and complaining that you got caught and ticketed.

cw18306

Not a HUGE deal...more like a lets make sure this was done legally. Some cops don't always do there job correctly. Ever see The Shield? You don't think some cops do illegal activities? Sounds like you have issues when people don't agree with you....anyway, I thought a strip mall was private property and had to have a sign stating something about police jurisdiction. Therefore, the question I asked. You seem to be under the impression that I think I am above the law. This is not the case. Had it been properly managed and reasonably visible, I would have known I was in a fire land, and I never would have parked there. I want to know that the cop had a legal right to ticket me on private property that has no signs posted saying police jurisdiction applies there. Do you really have over 3500 posts?

Last edited:

justalayman

I want to know that the cop had a legal right to ticket me on private property that has no signs posted saying police jurisdiction applies there
yes, he did.

are you happy now?

I'm betting not.

cw18306

Thank you justalayman for actually answering my question. You would lose that bet:p Wish you would have been the first to reply. I wasn't looking for opinions on my "tall tale". Just the facts ;) I can trust that this cop was doing exactly what he should have done.

Last edited:

justalayman

while I agree he could have simply warned you, I suspect since he is "the new Sheriff in town" he feels a need to make an impression. The problem with intentionally making impressions: often times they are not good impressions and can have long lasting consequences that are in contrast of the original intent.

The simple answer to your bolded question is YES. they DO have jurisdiction in a strip mall.

And for the record, YOU are the one who is making a huge deal out of parking in a fire lane for 45 seconds and complaining that you got caught and ticketed.
Some states require a contract between the owner & police -- don't recall if SC mandates this.

HomeGuru

**A: now this is entertainment. Oh brother, not another one.

HomeGuru

Not a HUGE deal...more like a lets make sure this was done legally. Some cops don't always do there job correctly. Ever see The Shield? You don't think some cops do illegal activities? Sounds like you have issues when people don't agree with you....anyway, I thought a strip mall was private property and had to have a sign stating something about police jurisdiction. Therefore, the question I asked. You seem to be under the impression that I think I am above the law. This is not the case. Had it been properly managed and reasonably visible, I would have known I was in a fire land, and I never would have parked there. I want to know that the cop had a legal right to ticket me on private property that has no signs posted saying police jurisdiction applies there. Do you really have over 3500 posts?
**A: you were in a fire land? And I guess you can't count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">