• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed for lack of proof of insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi. Tonight I was pulled over in Palm Beach County for speeding (10 over in a 45 thought i was doing the limit, but cest la vie) and given a ticket for not having my insurance card. When the officer asked for my insurance card I mistakenly gave him last year's (should've thrown it away i guess). He said it was expired and walked to his car.

I DID have the current card, but didn't find it quickly enough for the officer. A minute after the officer walked away from my car I found the current card and told him so. He said, "sorry...too late you're getting a ticket. You needed to present the card immediately when I asked for it."

I initially thought the office was overly harsh, but I think I got off easy. Long story short. I was ticketed (f.s. 316.646(1)) for not having proof of insurance. I did NOT get a speeding ticket, nor was any other offense cited; however, officer wrote "stopped for speeding 55 in 45" in the comment section. Officer stated that I could plead "nolo contendre" and mail in a photocopy of the insurance card, ticket and a check for $7.50 and it will "go away."

My question... will it "go away?" Is this something I need to worry about re: insurance rate, etc? It seems benign enough but you can never be sure with these things. Thanks for all your input in advance!!

Yours Truly,

Rob (in south florida)

Last edited:

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi. Tonight I was pulled over in Palm Beach County for speeding (10 over in a 45 thought i was doing the limit, but cest la vie) and given a ticket for not having my insurance card. When the officer asked for my insurance card I mistakenly gave him last year's (should've thrown it away i guess). He said it was expired and walked to his car.

I DID have the current card, but didn't find it quickly enough for the officer. A minute after the officer walked away from my car I found the current card and told him so. He said, "sorry...too late you're getting a ticket. You needed to present the card immediately when I asked for it."

I initially thought the office was overly harsh, but I think I got off easy. Long story short. I was ticketed (f.s. 316.646(1)) for not having proof of insurance. I did NOT get a speeding ticket, nor was any other offense cited; however, officer wrote "stopped for speeding 55 in 45" in the comment section. Officer stated that I could plead "nolo contendre" and mail in a photocopy of the insurance card, ticket and a check for $7.50 and it will "go away."

My question... will it "go away?" Is this something I need to worry about re: insurance rate, etc? It seems benign enough but you can never be sure with these things. Thanks for all your input in advance!!

Yours Truly,

Rob (in south florida)
first, this is not a moving violation....so your insurance rate will not be effected. once the police officer wrote the ticket, you will then just have to present the card and have it dismissed. you might still have to pay a fee, but look at it this way, at least you didnt get ticketed for speeding. he noted on the ticket the reason he called you over so as to explain why he id and not just to check for your insurance.

[email protected]

Yes. I sure am grateful for only the insurance citation. Ok. I will call the clerk. Actually their website says it will be dismissed if I send in a photocopy and the $7.50. I got VERY lucky.

Thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">