• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed for no visible registration while parked in driveway, but car IS REGISTERED

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pacheco763

UTAH - So my car had some random problems with it (cracked windshield, check engine light, bald tires, etc...) My car registration expired in May of 2009 so I stopped driving it for fear of getting a ticket! About $430 later I was able to get all my repairs done, completed my emissions and insp, and got my car registered ONLINE. I printed out my confirmation "temporary registration" that I of course keep in my car until I get my tags in the mail. Thinking it was safe to drive, as any cop could easily run my plates and see it is registered, and because if that fails, I could pull out my proof of registration from the website, I started driving my car again. Well this morning I pulled into my driveway of my house, my PRIVATE DRIVEWAY, that is, went inside, and a couple hours later came back outside to find a citation on my window for no visible registration. So some power tripping cop decided to scan my small neighborhood for petty potential citations. Anyways, I have two questions. Should I dispute this? And can they give me a No Registration citation when it is registered, especially when my car was parked in my driveway? They had no way of knowing if the car was even being used or not. Does it matter that it is private property??? The lady on the phone at the court said its not technically registered until the stickers are on your plate, no matter what the "temporary registration" says that they instruct you to keep in your car until your real tags arrive. She says I was supposed to cut out the bottom half and tape it to my window...duh

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
UTAH - So my car had some random problems with it (cracked windshield, check engine light, bald tires, etc...) My car registration expired in May of 2009 so I stopped driving it for fear of getting a ticket! About $430 later I was able to get all my repairs done, completed my emissions and insp, and got my car registered ONLINE. I printed out my confirmation "temporary registration" that I of course keep in my car until I get my tags in the mail. Thinking it was safe to drive, as any cop could easily run my plates and see it is registered, and because if that fails, I could pull out my proof of registration from the website, I started driving my car again. Well this morning I pulled into my driveway of my house, my PRIVATE DRIVEWAY, that is, went inside, and a couple hours later came back outside to find a citation on my window for no visible registration. So some power tripping cop decided to scan my small neighborhood for petty potential citations. Anyways, I have two questions. Should I dispute this? And can they give me a No Registration citation when it is registered, especially when my car was parked in my driveway? They had no way of knowing if the car was even being used or not. Does it matter that it is private property??? The lady on the phone at the court said its not technically registered until the stickers are on your plate, no matter what the "temporary registration" says that they instruct you to keep in your car until your real tags arrive. She says I was supposed to cut out the bottom half and tape it to my window...duh
You weren't cited for "No Registration" ...duh!

justalayman

I can't find anything concerning the temp registration and what you may or may not be required to do with it. If there is nothing written on it or anywhere on the website stating you must tape part of it to your window, I would contest the ticket based on the fact you did have the temp registration and there were no directions given to display it in any specific fashion.

Obviously, that does go against the legal requirement to display said registration but you may get an understanding judge and accept the situation as not perfect but acceptable.

If there was anything on or included with the temp registration or on the website where you apply for the registration addressing the display of the temp registration, I think you are screwed.

LSCAP

I know the op must be gone, but I seem to be missing something.

Why would you have to have registration plates on a car parked in your own private driveway?

Is that a Utah thing?

CdwJava

I'd be curious to know what code section it was. Perhaps it was no for registration at all, but for an apparently derelict car or a nuisance issue.

Knowing the specific state code or local ordinance section he was cited for would help to determine if it is applicable on private property or in this instance.

- Carl

justalayman

Why would you have to have registration plates on a car parked in your own private driveway?

Is that a Utah thing?
it's a michigan thing as well, to an extent. Depending on that age and condition of a vehicle, it may be illegal to park one on ones own property.

The Occultist

Is that a Utah thing?
In many areas, even on the driveway, the vehicle is still subject to registration laws. In such areas, the vehicle would either need to be in the garage, or perhaps in a section of your property that is fenced off away from the road.

You Are Guilty

In many areas, even on the driveway, the vehicle is still subject to registration laws. In such areas, the vehicle would either need to be in the garage, or perhaps in a section of your property that is fenced off away from the road.
Bingo. The catch is the officers cannot enter onto private land to check the stickers - so if the car is parked in such a way that the registration is visible from the public street, it can potentially be ticketed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">