• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed for unlicensed operator- plead guilty or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mago0o

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

This past Saturday I was pulled over for speeding. The officer was nice enough to let me off on the speeding infraction but ticketed me for being an unlicensed operator. My driver's license expired 3 weeks ago. Clearly my fault and I fully admit negligence by not renewing it in time. I went down to the DMV yesterday (1st day the DMV was open since the ticket) and made good on the DL so I am a legal driver again. Should I just plead guilty and take what the court gives me or should I go with a not guilty plea and see if they can take it easy on me? This is my 1st offence- never had a speeding ticket or other infraction. Not bad for an 18 year driving record. Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I think you are foolish to even ask such a question.

Be advised that the officer has ONE YEAR to file charges against you. If you show up in court, after being given a huge gift to begin with, to try to fight a legitimate charge the officer could decide to issue you a ticket for the speeding right there, along with anything else you did that he failed to mention at the time of the stop.

Or if he mentions it during his testimony you may not only be found guilty but I can see a judge imposing the maximum fine - close to $400 all together.

You had no valid license when you got stopped. Period. Renewing it later means nothing - this is not a "fix it ticket". And your supposed 18 year stellar driving record means nothing in court.

You do what you want - it's YOUR ticket, not ours.

mago0o

I appreciate the advice although not the condescending tone. Your response amounts to belittlement because I asked an honest question. It is because of my ignorance of the law that I turned to this forum for advice. If I knew the appropriate protocol, I would not have asked. The advice I have gotten thus far has amounted to 'you never plead guilty'. I am admittedly guilty and did not feel comfortable checking that box without further information.

HighwayMan

And if you enter a not guilty plea how do you intend to prove to the court that that you are innocent of the charge? By showing that you renewed your license AFTER the ticket was issued? The court can easily access your driving history, including all license actions such as class changes, suspensions, renewals, etc.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And if you enter a not guilty plea how do you intend to prove to the court that that you are innocent of the charge? By showing that you renewed your license AFTER the ticket was issued? The court can easily access your driving history, including all license actions such as class changes, suspensions, renewals, etc.
Slow down there :)

Pleading "not guilty" means that one wants to have their "day in court." If the OP wants to go in and try to "explain", that is his right...and the ONLY way to do that is by pleading "not guilty."

mago0o

On only some ticket forms especially reserved for the Sr. Members of this board...whose advice runs from OK (occasionally) to outright BAD to advice that is not really advice at all. :mad:
So you feel it's not a good idea to plead guilty in this case? My plan at this point it to just go with a guilty plea and take my lumps. Hopefully I don't get tagged with a hefty fine. My fear is that they'll fine me the max because they are a small town in a small county.

HighwayMan

Captian (sic) Picard knows nothing about the law and is in NO position to provide any meaningful legal advice to anyone.

Why he is permitted to stay here is beyond me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">