• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time constraints for second offense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wiseguy5366

West Virginia

The offense is driving on a suspended license (non-moving violations).

Are there time constraints for declaring a second offense? The first offense was 12 years ago.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

I'm not sure what you're actually asking, so I'll offer this: in some jurisdictions, it is possible to give you a cite for each minute you are in violation. If you are given a ticket for driving with a suspended license, and then you drive off, you can be cited again almost right away for still driving with a suspended license.

If I have gotten your question wrong, then please provide more details so that we know what it is you are actually asking. I do hope, however, that you are not mistaking what "double jeopardy" is and misapplying it to your situation.

cyjeff

I think the question was the opposite.

How long after a first offense would another violation be considered a first offense again.

FlyingRon

I think the question was the opposite.

How long after a first offense would another violation be considered a first offense again.
What sort of offense are we talking about. It depends on the situation. For some it's three years, for some it's ten years, for some it's forever. On the flip side, generally you have to be CONVICTED of the first offense before you COMMIT the second for it to trigger second offense penalties.

wiseguy5366

Let me try this again. cyjeff worded my question better than I did.

Convicted 12 years ago of driving on a suspended license (non-moving violations).

How long after the first offense would the same violation be considered a first offense again?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">