• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tint ticket.. possible way around it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaked588

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

so... here is my story...

i was driving from I-580 down San Pablo towards Berkeley, my starting point from the freeway being in emeryville. one block from the freeway, i see an emeryville cop on Adeline St which crosses over san pablo. his light turned green and he went by, heading down adeline. my light then turned green and i proceeded to drive down San Pablo. 20 blocks and 10 minutes later on San Pablo, i am now in the city of berkeley and i look in my rear view to see the cop swerving through traffic behind me, and i get pulled over. once again he is an emeryville police officer, not berkeley. he pulled me over for my tint on the front windows. i brushed it off thinking the ticket would only be $40 or so... no... $125.

my first question is, can he pull me over in berkeley for my tint when he works for emeryville? obviously he tried to use his time "wisely" to meet his quota.

second, if i never saw him on adeline, technically an emeryville cop came out of nowhere in berkeley and pulled me over... if he saw me then, why didnt he pull me over in emeryville?

third, on the ticket, it shows that under Location he wrote Adeline, which is 2 miles/20 blocks away from where he actually pulled me over in berkeley...

can i fight this?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
my first question is, can he pull me over in berkeley for my tint when he works for emeryville?
Yes - this isn't Dukes of Hazzard

second, if i "never saw him" on adeline, technically an emeryville cop came out of nowhere in berkeley and pulled me over...
You don't have to see him - he has to see you.
if he saw me then, why didnt he pull me over in emeryville?
Maybe it took him that long to catch up to you!

third, on the ticket, it shows that under Location he wrote Adeline, which is 2 miles/20 blocks away from where he actually pulled me over in berkeley...
But you were Adeline when he observed you initially

can i fight this?
Of course you can! But probably not successfully :rolleyes:

You can fight any ticket in court. Its the outcome that no one can guarantee.

If a policeman cites you for something that is physically non-compliant with the law in reference to your car, it doesn't matter which department issued it. CHP can give you the exact same ticket so can the Sheriff's department even if you were in the jurisdiction of an LAPD designated patrol area (just to give an example).

In the end its a fix-it ticket. You have illegal tint on your windows. It is against the law. You have to have it removed in order to operate the vehicle.

IMO, you would be fighting an up hill battle.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

so... here is my story...

i was driving from I-580 down San Pablo towards Berkeley, my starting point from the freeway being in emeryville. one block from the freeway, i see an emeryville cop on Adeline St which crosses over san pablo. his light turned green and he went by, heading down adeline. my light then turned green and i proceeded to drive down San Pablo. 20 blocks and 10 minutes later on San Pablo, i am now in the city of berkeley and i look in my rear view to see the cop swerving through traffic behind me, and i get pulled over. once again he is an emeryville police officer, not berkeley. he pulled me over for my tint on the front windows. i brushed it off thinking the ticket would only be $40 or so... no... $125.

my first question is, can he pull me over in berkeley for my tint when he works for emeryville? obviously he tried to use his time "wisely" to meet his quota.

second, if i never saw him on adeline, technically an emeryville cop came out of nowhere in berkeley and pulled me over... if he saw me then, why didnt he pull me over in emeryville?

can i fight this?
What section were you cited for?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">