• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

too close to the Fire hydrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lyric Thompson

Hello, I live in New York City NY and I have received a ticket for parking too close to a fire hydrant. I in all honesty was not aware of the 15 foot law. The last place I lived it was only 10 feet. Any how looking at the ticket it states that I was two feet from said hydrant.
I was 9 1/2 feet from the hydrant. { I measured the distance.} Would this make the ticket defective ? Thanks Lyric Thompson

Antigone*

Hello, I live in New York City NY and I have received a ticket for parking too close to a fire hydrant. I in all honesty was not aware of the 15 foot law. The last place I lived it was only 10 feet. Any how looking at the ticket it states that I was two feet from said hydrant.
I was 9 1/2 feet from the hydrant. { I measured the distance.} Would this make the ticket defective ? Thanks Lyric Thompson
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

You Are Guilty

"Ignorance of the law" and all, so, no.

I'm not sure hydrant tickets qualify for the settlement program, so unless there is another defect on the face of the violation, then you're stuck with the full fine.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Even if you thought the law was 10 feet, you STILL parked too close. No, you won't be able to argue down the road you'd like to head.

Lyric Thompson

wow thanks, rude much?

I posted an honest question due to the fact that cases are dismissed all the time for technical errors. It was indeed my error to park too close to a hydrant. My Bad. What I do not understand is the extremely rude responses . If you are a lawyer are you honestly going to say that you have never used a technicality to win your case ? Thank You Lyric Thompson

Antigone*

I posted an honest question due to the fact that cases are dismissed all the time for technical errors. It was indeed my error to park too close to a hydrant. My Bad. What I do not understand is the extremely rude responses . If you are a lawyer are you honestly going to say that you have never used a technicality to win your case ? Thank You Lyric Thompson
:eek::confused::eek: Who was rude :eek::confused::eek:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The bottom line is that whether is was 2 feet or 9 1/2 feet it was still a violation. Service copies that are handwritten are very often difficult to read - maybe you read the distance wrong. In any event, since you were wrong anyway I wouldn't bother with this - you will expend alot of time and effort and will probably lose the case anyway.

Just learn a lesson from this and move on.

If you need any clarifications I would be glad to help you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">