• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

towed from private residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drakedeming

What is the name of your state? maryland

My wife and I live in an apartment and pay 125$ a month to park inthe private garage. This weekend on saturday night our cars were both towed and we had to pay 282$ to get them back. Both had what we thought werre the proper parking permits. It turns out the apratment management gave us a letter saying we had to turn them in to recieve new ones. the letter was marked that Wednesday. We rarely check our mail and it seems a little improper to give a 2 day notcie of this since we pay for parking. The letter stated they would begin towing that Friday night and the towing company said they towed 8 cars Friday night and about 10 others the night we were towed. Is the apartment management responsible for reimbursing me for my tows? They onyl gave us 2 days notice and did not hand deliver the notice. thanks

panzertanker

We rarely check our mail and it seems a little improper to give a 2 day notcie of this since we pay for parking.
YOUR issue, not the manager's.
drakedeming said:
The letter stated they would begin towing that Friday night and the towing company said they towed 8 cars Friday night and about 10 others the night we were towed. Is the apartment management responsible for reimbursing me for my tows? They onyl gave us 2 days notice and did not hand deliver the notice. thanks
You should check your mail more often, it appears that you are responsible for what happened....

drakedeming

In Maryland it is required that you recieve a 30 day notice of eviction, I was wondering if there was a similiar law that would also relate to a parking permit ?

drakedeming

yes it is privatly issued for parking on private property, when i paid for this months payment they did not tell me anything about his though.

xylene

In the state of Maryland private party towing is governed by county and city laws.

Please give your county and city for the most accurate answer.

I might suspect, that you were not given enough notice given the circumstances. It is not as if you were towed because of an urgent need of access / emergency or serious material non-compliance with parking regualtion or non-payment. They were switching from one kind of permit to another - a matter of their administrative convience. :rolleyes: The exact answer for how much time they must allow will depend on the exact terms, circumstances, and applicable laws. I storngly suspect that 2 business days

You DO have a right to appeal, but you should move very quickly as you may have only 21 days to appeal the charges.

Don't harp the fact that you don't check your mail. It is not relevant to the case. There is no hand delivery requirement. However - generally the laws call for parking regualtions and changes in them to be 'conspicuously' posted. Exact signange requirements vary.

Lastly - if a dozen or more of your neighbors are in the same boat - I would strongly suggest doing a little networking. If a good amount of tenants are making the same appeal - it certainly goes a long way in making it feel like this isn't your probleme alone. :)

wrong section

this is not a parking issue, this is a landlord tennant issue. I would advise that you repost your question in that section. I could imagine that the correct way to approach this is in a lanlord-tennant court. This would probably be considered residential laws, but you really have to check it out with your state.

You could also file in small claims court, but it is usually more difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">