• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towed vehicle from the parking spot in front of ER in Los Angeles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

galex3usa

Los Angeles, CA: I brought my bleeding girlfriend to the ER, have parked in front at the meter displaying the handicapped sign on the windshield and by the time we came out of ER the vehicle had been towed away and the towing service was closed. We had to take taxi to get home (23 miles), next day taxi to get to the garage, paid close to $300 for towing, storage and City of LA vehicle release fee and now, facing $93 parking violation citation fine.
What can be done to get money back, please advice. Thank you.

CdwJava

They have parking meters in front of the ER where you went?

On the paperwork, what was the reason for the tow? There should be a vehicle code section or municipal code section that states this.

How long was the car parked there before you came back out?

galex3usa

They have parking meters in front of the ER where you went?

On the paperwork, what was the reason for the tow? There should be a vehicle code section or municipal code section that states this.

How long was the car parked there before you came back out?

Thank you for responding to my post.
- Yes, the entrance to the ER is at the major street with metered parking. I was lucky to find an empty spot right across the street from the entrance. The sign stated regular parking hours and a No parking between 4pm-6pm M-F.
Due to urgency I didn't mentally register that sign among others. Plus, I had a handicapped placard;
- The reason for tow "The officer observed the car parked at (address) behind sign saying No Stopping btwn 4-6pm;
- On the citation there's code 80.69A;
- We arrived to ER at 1:30pm and released shortly before 7pm.

I don';t blame the officer nor towing svc, they did their jobs. But seems like city officials have failed to create adequate conditions for emergency situations where human lives are at stake.

Please let me know your thoughts? Thank you.

CdwJava

- Yes, the entrance to the ER is at the major street with metered parking. I was lucky to find an empty spot right across the street from the entrance. The sign stated regular parking hours and a No parking between 4pm-6pm M-F.
Okay, so this was on the public street and NOT on the hospital property, correct?

Due to urgency I didn't mentally register that sign among others. Plus, I had a handicapped placard;
- The reason for tow "The officer observed the car parked at (address) behind sign saying No Stopping btwn 4-6pm;
Then you were likely towed between 4 and 6 PM since there is NO parking during that time. A handicapped placard does not waive parking prohibitions.

SEC. 80.69. PARKING PROHIBITED OR LIMITED.
(Title Amended by Ord. No. 122,716, Eff. 10/5/62.)
Whenever, with reference to any street or portion thereof, the Department determines that: (1) the same is within a business district; or (2) because of
proximity to a business district or center of employment; or (3) because of an unusual concentration of population; or (4) because vehicles which are six feet or
more in height (including any load thereon) parked within 100 feet of an intersection limit the visibility of approaching traffic and thereby create a hazard; or (5)
because of any other factor or condition, the unrestricted parking of vehicles has caused, or would necessarily cause, traffic congestion, create a hazard,
detrimentally affect the public welfare, or deprive the public of the efficient use of available curb space, the Department is hereby authorized to install at any such
place signs giving notice that no person shall stand, stop or park a vehicle except as provided on such signs. The Department is further authorized to include notice
on any sign which prohibits the stopping or parking of vehicles, that vehicles parked or left standing in violation of such sign may be removed. (Amended by Ord.
No. 161,645, Eff. 10/17/86.)
(a) Stopping or Standing Prohibited. Whenever authorized signs are in place giving notice that stopping or standing is prohibited during such
hours or on such days as are indicated on such signs, it shall be unlawful for any person to stop or stand or park any vehicle at any time during such hours or
such days.​

I don';t blame the officer nor towing svc, they did their jobs. But seems like city officials have failed to create adequate conditions for emergency situations where human lives are at stake.

Sounds like you might have been better served parking in the ER parking area rather than a public street. You can certainly challenge any parking cite and ask that the fine be waived due to the perceived emergency. They do not have to, but, they might. But, I suspect that the impound and release fees will not be able to be successfully challenged. If you wish to challenge the impound, you have 10 days from the time of the tow to request a post storage hearing on the impound. But, since the impound appears to be lawful, you'd be hoping for mercy that they are not required to offer, and refund money that would probably be all but impossible to wrest from the bureaucracy when they have done no wrong.

Once the patient was admitted and stabilized, you should probably have gone out to address the vehicle. That may be a live and learn scenario, but, I suspect that is the argument you will hear if you try and contest the impound or the parking cite.

justalayman

You were not the patient. You let your car sit there for 6 hours in a space where there was no parking allowed for 2 of those hours. You have no valid argument here. You could have taken the patient inside and then moved your car. You had 2 1/2 hours before the no parking period started and you still failed to move your car.

Quit whining about the laws being enforced because you screwed up.

galex3usa

Okay, so this was on the public street and NOT on the hospital property, correct?

Then you were likely towed between 4 and 6 PM since there is NO parking during that time. A handicapped placard does not waive parking prohibitions.

Yes, I believe that was on the public street, not the hospital property. The impound was lawful, I am not disputing that. What I am disputing is that surrounding such an important object as ER with only limited time parking options is humanly wrong, this is a trap and an opportunity for the city (and businesses involved) to collect public money from people caught in emergency situation.
I understand that they MIGHT and don't have to and perhaps, won't do any refunds, but out of principles!!! Coming out of ER with crying, bleeding and hurt girlfriend was quiet an experience and instead of taking her home to heal, we had to stand in the middle of the street trying to figure out what happened and what to do, search for a cab and ride 23 miles home. Being a disabled person myself, that was some day and I am definitely holding a grudge against the City management.. rather, mismanagement - can you blame me?

But, thank you very much for your kind input, I really appreciate the time you took to look into this matter and advice me.

Kind regards,

Alex

galex3usa

You were not the patient. You let your car sit there for 6 hours in a space where there was no parking allowed for 2 of those hours. You have no valid argument here. You could have taken the patient inside and then moved your car. You had 2 1/2 hours before the no parking period started and you still failed to move your car.

Quit whining about the laws being enforced because you screwed up.
I agree with you on all that, thank you for your input- but in all the rush delivering a bleeding patient to the ER, I even didn't notice the DO NOT PARK sign among all other signs! And frankly, my mind was somewhere else during the entire ordeal: regular street with metered parking (all taken), I was extremely lucky to have found an empty spot right across the ER entrance- grab it before next car took it, was on my mind. As I said, I don't blame the law enforcement nor the towing service, but those who are in charge of city planning and management- it's a trap and money making machine out of people in emergency situations. Even if I only had taken the patient inside and then returned to move the car (really? like a taxi driver? would you leave your bleeding crying relative alone in such situation?) this could've had happened.
But, thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on this.

CdwJava

Yes, I believe that was on the public street, not the hospital property. The impound was lawful, I am not disputing that. What I am disputing is that surrounding such an important object as ER with only limited time parking options is humanly wrong, this is a trap and an opportunity for the city (and businesses involved) to collect public money from people caught in emergency situation.
I suspect that the hospital had ample parking nearby, and even at least temporary ER parking. The problem is that you need to go out and move the car. I guarantee you that no one was intentionally trying to trap anyone. The city cannot simply assume that everyone parked on the street near the hospital is actually AT the hospital. If they exempted that area from time limits or permitted unlimited parking, what would prevent staff or other people that lived or worked in the area from parking there?

At the major hospital (level I trauma center) near me they have an ER that allows for 6 hours of free parking in the parking lot. There is NO parking on the public street at all, and ample paid public parking in at least THREE public lots. If there is inadequate parking at the hospital you went to, that may be an issue to bring up with the administration there.

I understand that they MIGHT and don't have to and perhaps, won't do any refunds, but out of principles!!!
Sorry, but I don't see a "principle" that was violated here. It's not like you were the patient. You could have gone back outside and moved the car to a proper place after your GF was stabilized. I see it all the time at the local hospital ER.

Coming out of ER with crying, bleeding and hurt girlfriend was quiet an experience and instead of taking her home to heal, we had to stand in the middle of the street trying to figure out what happened and what to do, search for a cab and ride 23 miles home. Being a disabled person myself, that was some day and I am definitely holding a grudge against the City management.. rather, mismanagement - can you blame me?
Yeah, it is a sucky experience. But, at the risk of sounding callous, it is one that could have been prevented had you thought to move your car once your GF had been admitted and was seen. Again, I see it all the time at the local ER. People there with family members who have been shot and are in surgery will have to move their cars, too. Why? Because they need to make room for the next trauma/ER patient that comes inside. Parking enforcement folks cannot possibly know who has a legitimate emergency and who is simply parked for convenience.

I'm sorry you went through this. Your distraction is understandable. But, once all the hullabaloo dies down, it is incumbent upon all of us to think in some rational way.

But, thank you very much for your kind input, I really appreciate the time you took to look into this matter and advice me.
You're welcome.

I do wish there was some way to make it go away, but, there simply is no way for that to happen. You can ASK that the cite be waived and even ASK that the city waive their fees for the tow (though you would likely still have to pay the tow company). But, they are under no obligation to do either, under the circumstances.

justalayman

Saying that's a trap is like a cop catching you speeding and giving you a ticket. The directives were unambiguous. Your failure to read the sign or if in question go and check it out after the patient was recieved by the er is simply no excuse.

It's time to accept YOUR error and realize that the city did not do anything wrong. They didn't bait you. They didn't conceal the rules. It's as simple as you failed to read them and comply with them.

galex3usa

Thank you all for taking the time to provide your expertise and advice.
I will try to fight for my money- any suggestions?
otherwise, thank you again, and
Have a great weekend!

CdwJava

I don't know that you have any good arguments. You are essentially asking for them be nice and refund you money or waive the parking cite. I'll predict that you will not prevail, but, you lose nothing but time to request the hearings and attend them.

Keep in mind that you have time limits to contest these items. Ten days to contest the tow, and whatever the parking cite might say for contesting that.

CSO286

I agree with you on all that, thank you for your input- but in all the rush delivering a bleeding patient to the ER, I even didn't notice the DO NOT PARK sign among all other signs! And frankly, my mind was somewhere else during the entire ordeal: regular street with metered parking (all taken), I was extremely lucky to have found an empty spot right across the ER entrance- grab it before next car took it, was on my mind. As I said, I don't blame the law enforcement nor the towing service, but those who are in charge of city planning and management- it's a trap and money making machine out of people in emergency situations. Even if I only had taken the patient inside and then returned to move the car (really? like a taxi driver? would you leave your bleeding crying relative alone in such situation?) this could've had happened.
But, thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on this.
This is by your admission, all your fault. You didn't notice. You were distracted.

As a driver it is still your responsibility to notice. While waiting for your girlfriend to be triaged, seen and/or treated, you could have found the time to move your car.

Sorry, but this one's on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">