• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

towing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarhc60

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Someone please give me some advice, I've had this posted for a while! Thanks

I got towed this weekend while visiting my boyfriend in Louisville Ky. He arrived home around 5 PM and I arrived around 6 or 6:30 PM on the 24th of March and we didn't exit the apartment until the next morning. There were no signs indicating not to park on the road. We came outside that saturday morning and all the cars on the road were gone and there were suddenly signs posted on telephone poles saying "no stopping-saturday" this was around 10 AM. We called the police and found out that our cars had been towed early that morning, sometime before 8AM along with many other peoples because there had been a 5 k or 10 k race that morning that went through our street.
There were no signs up previously indicating the race, the time you couldn't park there, or that it would result in being towed. He and I both had to pay $105 to get our cars out of impound and then we found $15 dollar parking tickets on our cars when we picked them up at the impound lot. When we paid the impound fee my boyfriend looked at the list of all cars towed that day and on the first page alone he saw that 21 had been towed from our rd. No telling how many more were on the next few pages. That tells me something was done wrong.
I have emailed the mayor, the manager of traffic operations, the executive administrator of the Parking Authority of River City, as well as LMPD Special Operations / Special Events. All have basically responded by telling me that cars had to be moved for the saftey of runners.(which I understand, but just give me notice so I can move my car!) One person told me signs were posted between 9AM and 1PM on Friday, March 24 and that some signs on another street were taken down by vandals but replaced later in the evening. He also told me that they use signs generic cardboard signs stating "no stopping any time-Saturdays" for various events and that it was most likely the sign they used for that event. Another person told me that signs were placed between 9 and 1 and that the signs stating the events name and time of events were placed within the central business district of louisville. The problem is, I looked up the central business districts boundaries and Cherokee Rd. where we were located was not included in the central business district. An LMPD Lt. emailed me saying "The Rodes City Run route signage was placed on Friday between the hours of 1PM - 3PM. The route was checked at 3:30 PM and it was discovered that some signs had been removed from the Grinstead Drive section. Public works went back out and replaced those sign by 6 PM. The section of Grinstead that had to be resigned was in a section of roadway that is permanently signed no stopping 4 to 6 PM for rush hour traffic." This statement directly contradicts the other 2 that I was given about the time the signs were posted and all 3 contradict the fact that my boyfriend and I both saw no signs when we parked, 19 other people obviously didn't see those signs either.
I am so irritated and I feel like they are just completely trying to sweep my comments and concerns under the rug. I have just mailed my ticket and towing appeal out today but I'm afraid it will just be rejected. I am a very broke college student and I am so angry that I've had to shell out this much money for something I don't feel like I deserved.
My question is this, do no parking or no stopping signs in this case have to be posted a certain amount of time before an event? Also do these signs have to state "violators will be towed" if the police are going to tow them without the car being ticketed prior to a few minutes before the towing? Is this even worth persuing? I was told when I called the # to file a complaint that appeals for towing hardly go through and you have to go to an administrative hearing if you wish to continue with the appeals process. I would go to the administrative hearing even though it would require me to take a day off of school and drive 2 hours, if I thought I had an actual chace of getting my money back. What do you think? I just don't see why it should be my responsability to pay for the mistakes someone else made about not informing the residents properly.
Thanks for the help,
--SC

seniorjudge

sarhc60 said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Someone please give me some advice, I've had this posted for a while! Thanks

I got towed this weekend while visiting my boyfriend in Louisville Ky. He arrived home around 5 PM and I arrived around 6 or 6:30 PM on the 24th of March and we didn't exit the apartment until the next morning. There were no signs indicating not to park on the road. We came outside that saturday morning and all the cars on the road were gone and there were suddenly signs posted on telephone poles saying "no stopping-saturday" this was around 10 AM. We called the police and found out that our cars had been towed early that morning, sometime before 8AM along with many other peoples because there had been a 5 k or 10 k race that morning that went through our street.
There were no signs up previously indicating the race, the time you couldn't park there, or that it would result in being towed. He and I both had to pay $105 to get our cars out of impound and then we found $15 dollar parking tickets on our cars when we picked them up at the impound lot. When we paid the impound fee my boyfriend looked at the list of all cars towed that day and on the first page alone he saw that 21 had been towed from our rd. No telling how many more were on the next few pages. That tells me something was done wrong.
I have emailed the mayor, the manager of traffic operations, the executive administrator of the Parking Authority of River City, as well as LMPD Special Operations / Special Events. All have basically responded by telling me that cars had to be moved for the saftey of runners.(which I understand, but just give me notice so I can move my car!) One person told me signs were posted between 9AM and 1PM on Friday, March 24 and that some signs on another street were taken down by vandals but replaced later in the evening. He also told me that they use signs generic cardboard signs stating "no stopping any time-Saturdays" for various events and that it was most likely the sign they used for that event. Another person told me that signs were placed between 9 and 1 and that the signs stating the events name and time of events were placed within the central business district of louisville. The problem is, I looked up the central business districts boundaries and Cherokee Rd. where we were located was not included in the central business district. An LMPD Lt. emailed me saying "The Rodes City Run route signage was placed on Friday between the hours of 1PM - 3PM. The route was checked at 3:30 PM and it was discovered that some signs had been removed from the Grinstead Drive section. Public works went back out and replaced those sign by 6 PM. The section of Grinstead that had to be resigned was in a section of roadway that is permanently signed no stopping 4 to 6 PM for rush hour traffic." This statement directly contradicts the other 2 that I was given about the time the signs were posted and all 3 contradict the fact that my boyfriend and I both saw no signs when we parked, 19 other people obviously didn't see those signs either.
I am so irritated and I feel like they are just completely trying to sweep my comments and concerns under the rug. I have just mailed my ticket and towing appeal out today but I'm afraid it will just be rejected. I am a very broke college student and I am so angry that I've had to shell out this much money for something I don't feel like I deserved.
My question is this, do no parking or no stopping signs in this case have to be posted a certain amount of time before an event? Also do these signs have to state "violators will be towed" if the police are going to tow them without the car being ticketed prior to a few minutes before the towing? Is this even worth persuing? I was told when I called the # to file a complaint that appeals for towing hardly go through and you have to go to an administrative hearing if you wish to continue with the appeals process. I would go to the administrative hearing even though it would require me to take a day off of school and drive 2 hours, if I thought I had an actual chace of getting my money back. What do you think? I just don't see why it should be my responsability to pay for the mistakes someone else made about not informing the residents properly.
Thanks for the help,
--SC
“God invented paragraphs and sentences to make written communication easier by breaking up major ideas into smaller chunks. Try using them sometime. One long unbroken string of words is hard to read.”

--DebtGuy

Standard answer on long and/or rambling posts:

Cut it in half

Use paragraphs

Leave out editorial comments

Ask three questions

Do not use all caps...it is excessively rude and equivalent to shouting in someone’s ear.

Use standard English.

You will be more likely to get someone to help you if you do this.

sarhc60

Actually when I wrote this, I did use paragraphs but once posted, the indentions were not shown. My post was so long because I was trying to give all the details in order to get the best advice possible. Thanks for the advice, but I wasn't asking you to proof read my post. I simply would like people who can help answer my questions to respond, not perverted men and English teachers. So far those are the only people who have responded. So thank you Sir for your recommendation but I prefer to let my Professors help me with my writing skills and lawyers help me with legal advice. Clearly, you are not a professor of mine and you are incapable of giving me legal advice in the towing matter, so please don't respond to my posts anymore.

justalayman

sarhc60 said:
Actually when I wrote this, I did use paragraphs but once posted, the indentions were not shown. My post was so long because I was trying to give all the details in order to get the best advice possible. Thanks for the advice, but I wasn't asking you to proof read my post. I simply would like people who can help answer my questions to respond, not perverted men and English teachers. So far those are the only people who have responded. So thank you Sir for your recommendation but I prefer to let my Professors help me with my writing skills and lawyers help me with legal advice. Clearly, you are not a professor of mine and you are incapable of giving me legal advice in the towing matter, so please don't respond to my posts anymore.
Whoa there little lady. The judge was merely trying to help. Reading your post is very taxing. WHen posts are difficult to read, many respondants won't take the time to read it.

You need to remember, everybody here is doing it for myriad reasons, the only common one is that nobody is getting paid. It helps if you don't come off as appearing like you believe you are entitled.

Now play nice. You might try what the judge suggested and hopefully somebody will lend an ear. There are some very informed, intelligent and helpful people here. Help them to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">