• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing from Private Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rheinwein

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My car was towed from my apartment building lot because I did not have a proper permit. Signage around the lot clearly stated that cars parked without a permit would be ticketed, and repeat violators would be towed at owner's expense. I never received a ticket or any parking citation from the apartment management or from the police department. Does my landlord have the right to tow my car at any time because it is a private lot, or are they obligated to follow the ticketing/towing procedure posted on their signs? Additionally, WI s. 349.13(3m) states that "No vehicle involved in trespass parking on a private parking lot or facility shall be removed without the permission of the vehicle owner, except upon the issuance of a repossession judgment or upon formal complaint and a citation for illegal parking issued by a traffic or police officer."
Is this applicable to cars parked in a privately owned lot?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">