• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

towing regulations/licensing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robertjoseph

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? quincy, ma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Quincy , MA

recently i had a car towed by an outfit that seems as if it's not an actual business, but just two guys who have tow trucks. they're very set on 160 in cash to get your vehicle back and keep the cars in an unsecured location. we asked to see their license and they refused to show us and told me "ay guy i got nothing to prove to you… you know what.. now we're closed" and refused to give the car back.

in my own digging i've found a lot of information but am having a hard time deciphering what is fact (or relevant by this date) and a few things i flat out can't find and being a holiday weekend i can't reach out to town hall. and the police ……. google was more help.

as far as i've found (please correct these if they're wrong):

tow companies can charge 90.00 for initial tow, followed by a formula based on the average price of diesel fuel (totals about 3.00 per mile right now), and can charge 35.00 per day storage if its a secured location, or 17.20 per day if unsecured (very unsecured). all in all i don't see where this could ever equal 160 and i've found previous cases on old town dockets online stating they've had issues with overcharging previously.

also i read that a tow company is not legally allowed to act as a standalone and must be affiliated to an ancillary business (i.e body shop, paint and auto, act). this company operates as a DBA from a home and uses a drop site in the back of a warehouse that is a facility who strictly rents itself as a warehouse storage facility (not an adjoining business).

in terms of licensing would the company need a tow license in the town they pull cars from or the town they leave cars and where could i see if a company in fact has a license?

also, if the tow company does in fact need to be tied to an ancillary business and is not or does not have proper licensing what is to stop me from driving over and just driving off with the car (its kept in a C shaped fence area with no closure in an open lot) or reporting the car stolen?

any information to help would be hugely appreciated. btw this company is in no way affiliated to either town (the pick up or the drop town) per both police departments. they're listed on google as "permanently closed" and have about six address none of which are valid and the company (three people total with two trucks) is known for being hostile and unprofessional and have pulled up to cars for towing, had owners come out to move the cars and they refused to unhook (despite a ruling that i believe is still correct stating at that point they have to unhook and can charge no more than half)

so, any clarification on the information i've found so far or anything i've missed would be a huge help. thank you.

robertjoseph

Why was the car towed in the first place?
i live in an apartment complex that has residential stickers. the car was parked in an unmarked spot but because there was no sticker it was towed. they used to start towing at 9pm but apparently they switched to 7pm without informing the residents. i take full blame for the initial towing because despite them not notifying us, i get the sticker issue. but the price, attitude, and location of the place being used doesn't sit well

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">