• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing a vehicle....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CombustionGuy

I live in California and 3 days ago my car was towed for expired tags. The car was parked on the street and the temporary permit expired 5 months ago. I am aware he can ticket me for expired registration, but i was told the permit needed to be expired for 6 months before the vehicle can be towed. I searched all over my local DMV web site and i couldnt find anything. Id appreciate it if someone could help me. Thanks.

CombustionGuy said:
I live in California and 3 days ago my car was towed for expired tags. The car was parked on the street and the temporary permit expired 5 months ago. I am aware he can ticket me for expired registration, but i was told the permit needed to be expired for 6 months before the vehicle can be towed. I searched all over my local DMV web site and i couldnt find anything. Id appreciate it if someone could help me. Thanks.

My response:

No, it's not 6 months. It used to be, but now it's 3 months, and it's been 3 months for the past 4 years. You're on the hook.

IAAL

CdwJava

CombustionGuy said:
It has nothing to do with the expiration of the PERMIT, but the expiration of the vehicle in the absence of a valid permit.

CVC 22651(o)(1) authorizes the impound of a vehicle: "When any vehicle is found or operated upon a highway, any public lands, or an offstreet parking facility with a registration expiration date in excess of six months before the date it is found or operated on the highway, public lands, or the offstreet parking facility."

So, once the temporary registration (aka "permit") expired, the vehicle was good for the hook if more than 6 months past the registration expiration. The temporary does NOT grant another 6 months!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">