• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traded in car in January, tickets issued in March

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Azure123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In January 2012, I traded in my 2003 VW Jetta to Volvo. When I arrived home from vacation yesterday, I had received a letter from "Marshal Roger E. Hammer" of Bayside, NY. The letter claims that a person with another name has accumulated a number of parking tickets on my old Jetta (they have the VIN). The plate number that is listed is from Maryland (and is not mine; I live in NY). 4 tickets were issued in March-May 2012. Apparently more than $700 are owed. As such, they are threatening to tow my current vehicle (Volvo).

I plan to contact the Marshal and Volvo first thing Monday morning.

What documentation do I need to resolve this matter?

In the meantime, should I be concerned that someone is going to show up in the middle of the night and repossess my fully paid-off Volvo? Does this NYC Marshal have authority in Westchester County, NY, or just in NYC?

Many thanks in advance for any insights you may have.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I had received a letter from "Marshal Roger E. Hammer" of Bayside, NY. The letter claims that a person with another name has accumulated a number of parking tickets on my old Jetta (they have the VIN).
Well, he is a marshal - he's on the list. Why did he send YOU a letter when he obviously knows that the car belongs to another person?

Try a bill of sale or any other documents the dealership gave you regarding the disposal of the VW.

In the meantime, should I be concerned that someone is going to show up in the middle of the night and repossess my fully paid-off Volvo?
Not yet. That might take a while.

Does this NYC Marshal have authority in Westchester County, NY, or just in NYC?
That's a good question - I don't know. It would depend on the court order they are enforcing I would think.

Why, is your car outside the city?

A NYC Marshall is NOT a law enforcement officer. They are not even employees of the City. They are mercenaries of sorts, who are hired to enforce certain civil judgements. They are appointed by the mayor of the City of New York and are regulated by the New York City Department of Investigation.

If I was you I'd go to this marshal's office at 42-01 Bell Boulevard in Bayside to straighten this out. You can try by phone but you may want to consider showing up if you have time. Bring whatever paperwork you have.

If you get no satisfaction, make a complaint with the DOI as soon as possible.

Azure123

Thanks for the response.

I was also surprised that he sent the letter to me when the license plates for the car are registered to someone in Maryland. (I have never lived in Maryland or registered a car there). We ran a CarFax report and the car got a new title in Maryland on February 3, 2012.

Yes, I live in Westchester county, NY and I never bring my car into NYC (not comfortable driving in the city).

I will start by calling him today. I just got back from vacation and found his letter, so it will be difficult for me to get off from work right now.

LdiJ

Thanks for the response.

I was also surprised that he sent the letter to me when the license plates for the car are registered to someone in Maryland. (I have never lived in Maryland or registered a car there). We ran a CarFax report and the car got a new title in Maryland on February 3, 2012.

Yes, I live in Westchester county, NY and I never bring my car into NYC (not comfortable driving in the city).

I will start by calling him today. I just got back from vacation and found his letter, so it will be difficult for me to get off from work right now.
I would consider getting an attorney to handle this if you can afford it. Its ludicrous that this Marshall is contacting you at all since you are not the owner of the vehicle. If you cannot afford it then I would recommend providing the marshall with proof that you traded the car in, and the information that you got from CarFax.

HighwayMan

I would consider getting an attorney to handle this if you can afford it.
Totally unnecessary at this stage and probably unnecessary period.

and the information that you got from CarFax.
A Carfax report is hardly a legal document or proof of anything - at least as far as a marshal is concerned.

The City Marshals are heavily regulated. Check the DOI website for information about marshals and their relationship to the system. The website also has a copy of the marshal's manual which lays out all of their responsibilities and duties as well as what they cannot do. If there is an issue making a complaint to the DOI is probably going to be alot more cost effective than hiring an attorney.

If this issue is for parking tickets then you need to find out why you are involved. I would hope that when trading in your car you removed the registration sticker from the window or that the dealership did so. That's the only way I can see you getting dragged into this.

Azure123

I called the Marshal's office and spoke with his admin (He wasn't in, and she didn't know when he would arrive).

She said that they are not looking for me, they are looking for the woman who got the tickets. They just sent the letter to me in case I know her.

I find it strange since the letter is clearly addressed to me, and they sent a second copy by certified mail.

I did take off the registration sticker since the plates were transferred to my new car. The person with the tickets has MD plates. I think they traced the car to me via its VIN.

BL

I called the Marshal's office and spoke with his admin (He wasn't in, and she didn't know when he would arrive).

She said that they are not looking for me, they are looking for the woman who got the tickets. They just sent the letter to me in case I know her.

I find it strange since the letter is clearly addressed to me, and they sent a second copy by certified mail.

I did take off the registration sticker since the plates were transferred to my new car. The person with the tickets has MD plates. I think they traced the car to me via its VIN.
You said:

As such, they are threatening to tow my current vehicle (Volvo).
What did that office say about that ?

Highly unusual if the vehicle had a new owner,registration and tags.

LdiJ

You said:

What did that office say about that ?

Highly unusual if the vehicle had a new owner,registration and tags.
The whole threatening to tow the OP's car bit bothered me the most about this whole situation. That makes absolutely no sense unless the marshall was hoping that the OP would simply pay fines that were not his/hers, out of fear. I don't buy the "we sent you the letter in case you know the purchaser" bit at all. My suspicion is that the marshall has no authority to deal with anything outside of NY jurisdiction and that this was a tactic to try to collect money from SOMEBODY.

Azure123

The whole threatening to tow the OP's car bit bothered me the most about this whole situation. That makes absolutely no sense unless the marshall was hoping that the OP would simply pay fines that were not his/hers, out of fear. I don't buy the "we sent you the letter in case you know the purchaser" bit at all. My suspicion is that the marshall has no authority to deal with anything outside of NY jurisdiction and that this was a tactic to try to collect money from SOMEBODY.
I tend to agree. I hope that I won't be hearing from him anymore.

I asked why I was sent the letter (it was cleary addressed to me, with my name and address on the letter). The Marshal's admin said in case I knew the woman with the tickets. The letter was not phrased that way though. I really hope they got the message that I am not involved and that they leave me alone.

HighwayMan

I would make a complaint with the Department of Investigation. If this is how he's doing business they may want to know about it. At the very least it will get this on record in case it goes any further.

Proseguru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In January 2012, I traded in my 2003 VW Jetta to Volvo.
Well, what documentation do you have ... sales receipt showing transfer? Go to DMV and get registration information for bullet-proof proof.

And what the guy is doing is goofy. I would not contact him at all.

BL

Well, what documentation do you have ... sales receipt showing transfer? Go to DMV and get registration information for bullet-proof proof.

And what the guy is doing is goofy. I would not contact him at all.
I wouldn't contact him either ,but I would find out if he's is acually a Marshall for collections and file a complaint against him.

Very unethical if he's legit under the circumstances.

HighwayMan

I wouldn't contact him either ,but I would find out if he's is acually a Marshall for collections and file a complaint against him.
It's already been established that this individual IS a city marshal.

BL

It's already been established that this individual IS a city marshal.
Per post #6 it appears so.

However, if the letter included a Tel. # to call , Myself,I would double check .

Should be public info. readily available by a search on the internet.

Just saying.

HighwayMan

Should be public info. readily available by a search on the internet.
I already stated that Hammer is listed as a city marshal - he IS a marshal.

The list of all marshals is posted on the DoI website.

OP shouldn't be bothered with letters when he has no ownership or interest in the vehicle. He should make a complaint with the DoI - they regulate and oversee the marshals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">