• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TRAFFIC COURT ERROR leads to a $485 Civil Assessment Failure To Pay CA PC1214.1 HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyameko

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

JUNE 2, 2011 While driving a friend's vehicle I was ticketed for 2 violations; CVC 4000(a) 'Expired Registration' & CVC 16028(A) 'Proof of Insurance'. The ticket stated that I was required to appear in Traffic Court on or before September 1, 2011.

SEPTEMBER 1, 2011 I go to the Court and at my arraignment, enter a plea of 'not guilty' to all charges. A trial date is set for September 29, 2011.

SEPTEMBER 29, 2011 I DID NOT COME TO COURT. (Not that it matters now, but I incorrectly thought the Trial date was 9/30/11. INCREDIBLY STUPID MISTAKE, I know, I know.

SEPTEMBER 30, 2011 - I show up at Court and am permitted to go before the Judge to try and make things right. I apologized to the Judge for my absence and explained that it really was an honest mistake on my part. The Judge stated that I was "very irresponsible" of me to make such an error but added that, the fact that in the 16 years I have been licensed to drive in the state of California, I had never been cited for anything and had an absolute clean driving record, he could not find and reason that I had not willfully avoided my Court appearance. He then granted my request for a continuance and my next court date was set to be held the following week, on October 3, 2011.
NOTE: The Judge never mentioned it, but I think he must have at least considered the fact that the ticketing Officer did not appear for the trial on September 29, 2011 either. The Judge never mentioned a Failure to Appear violation nor that I would receive a civil assessment . Again, I have no idea as to why the FTA was not mentioned, what i DO know is that, on Sept. 29, 2011, no judgment was entered/made for the charges against me.

OCTOBER 3, 2011, I went to Court and was arraigned a second time (the first time was 9/1/11). This time, rather than pleading not guilty for the violations on the ticket, I offered proof of correction showing that the vehicle had in fact been insured (at the time I had been ticketed) and that the registration was in order. The Judge looks over the paper work and dismisses both charges!! (NOTE: The Judge NEVER mentions a Failure to Appear during this court session. Nor am I ever asked to enter a plea for a FTA, this fact is relevant because the court is now claiming that I entered a no contest plea for the FTA, which is absolutely untrue!! I would like to restate the fact that neither Judge ever utters a word to me about a FTA. Not a word on 9/30/2011, not a word on October 3, 2011. The only thing I am asked to pay for is a court fee totaling $50. After the Judge dismisses both charges, a court clerk/officer hand me a piece of paper and direct me to the 'fine room' where I am asked to pay $25 for each dismissed violation, that is it. I paid the $50 in cash and was sent on my way. And believed the matter closed until**************

JANUARY 22, 2013, I receive a 'NOTICE OF FAILURE TO PAY' letter from the Traffic Court stating

Our records indicate you have failed to pay your Court ordered fine (I have no idea what 'fine' they are referring to, FTA?) and a $300 civil assessment pursuant to Penal Code 1214.1 is pending on your case and a request has been sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles to suspend your driver's license. You must do one of the following within 15 days of 1/16/2013:
1. Pay the full amount of $485.00 in person or by mail. No monthly payments allowed.
2. If you disagree with the amount due, appear at the Carol Miller No (NO) Justice Center with pic. id to set a court date for a hearing in the future.

FEBRUARY 20, 2013
My name is called in Court and before I can say anything, the Judge (same one that dismissed both charges and never mentioned a FTA on October, 3 2011) Asks me if I would like to have “time”, (2 weeks and 2 days from 2/20/2013) to pay the court a $485.00 assessment for 'Failure to Pay' or have the assessment increased to $635 and have DMV suspend my driver’s license?
I said I’ll take the ‘time’. I didn't know what to say at this point, I stood there for a minute and the Judge looked up and had an expression like, 'What the hell? You're still here? Get thee gone!'. I felt dizzy and now don't know what to do. I don't have the money and still don't believe that my case was handled properly. Now, had either judge mentioned that I would be charged a FTA and or civil assessment for Failure to Pay at neither of my two court dates following the day I had missed. So how the hell does the Court expect me to pay something I was never asked to pay? I mean, of course I failed to pay because I was never told to pay!

A tremendous amount of gratitude and appreciation for any advice that is offered! I noticed at least two reasons why a civil assessment per CA PC 1214.1 should be grounds to vacate the Judge’s decision because one or more of the following:

A. I was never sent a 10 day notice for the FTA. I received my first notice regarding this matter nearly 2 years after I last appeared in Traffic Court, which was 10/3/2011.
B. Though they never did, had they sent me a notice of civil assessment per CA PC 1214.1, I would have appeared well within the requisite 10 day time frame as I appeared the day following my trial date (and did not attend on 9/29/11) which
was 9/30/11.
C. When I appeared in Court and requested the continuance on 9/30/11, the Judge should have told me about the FTA. And probably should not have granted my request for a continuance. But HE DID!
D. The Judge who dismissed the charges should have charged me (or at least mention) the FTA, but he never did.

CA PC 1214.1. (a) In addition to any other penalty in infraction,
misdemeanor, or felony cases, the court may impose a civil assessment
of up to three hundred dollars ($300) against any defendant who
fails, after notice and without good cause, to appear in court for
any proceeding authorized by law or who fails to pay all or any
portion of a fine ordered by the court or to pay an installment of
bail as agreed to under Section 40510.5 of the Vehicle Code. This
assessment shall be deposited in the Trial Court Trust Fund, as
provided in Section 68085.1 of the Government Code.
(b) The assessment shall not become effective until at least 10
calendar days after the court mails a warning notice to the defendant
by first-class mail to the address shown on the notice to appear or
to the defendant's last known address. If the defendant appears
within the time specified in the notice and shows good cause for the
failure to appear or for the failure to pay a fine or installment of
bail, the court shall vacate the assessment.

FlyingRon

The judge is not obliged to tell you that you are subject to sanctions for failing to pay/appear by the due date. The fact that you got a subsequent continuance doesn't erase that. The notice you got on January 22, would appear to comply with the 1214.1 requirement. You only are obligated to pay until 10 days after the notice.

The only ERROR here seems to be you failing to appear.

nyameko

The judge is not obliged to tell you that you are subject to sanctions for failing to pay/appear by the due date. The fact that you got a subsequent continuance doesn't erase that. Didn't mean to imply that it did. I was merely suggesting, that if the Court had found me to be guilty of a FTA, I should have been (per CA PC 1214.1, which clearly states that the Court is required to do) informed. I went before two judges after I missed my trial date, and neither of them said a thing, if one is charged with something, one ought to be informed of said charges! Moreover, the Court is now falsely claiming that I plead 'no contest' on 10/3/11 to a FTA charge, which is totally untrue!

The notice you got on January 22, would appear to comply with the 1214.1 requirement.
No, I am sorry but it does not comply as the notice I received was a notice of 'Failure to Pay' not a '10 day warning notice' per CA PC1214.1, which specifically states that a "10 day notice" is to be delivered BEFORE a civil assessment is levied. However, the notice I received states that I FAILED to pay for something that I was never informed of. The charges were dismissed nearly 2 years ago, and it is only now that the Court is bringing this matter to my attention. They have my address and phone number, so why the 2 year delay? In short, how can one FAIL to pay something they were never asked to pay??!
I was asked to pay for the Court's processing fees for the dismissed violations ($50.00 in total). So if the Court had determined that my FTA warranted a civil assessment, then it (the Court) should have informed me of this violation at either one of my two subsequent Court appearances after I missed my first trial day on 9/29/11!!
This makes no sense, why wait almost two years to inform me of $500 Court debt? Further, no one at the Court seems to know the actual amount that I allegedly originally had failed to pay! And you are telling me that neither the Judge or Court had no obligation to inform me of this?

Anyone else out there have any USEFUL advice to offer? Please!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps you ought to pay the fine for your FTA?

Additionally, may I suggest that you purchase a calendar to help you keep track of your obligations?

nyameko

Perhaps you ought to pay the fine for your FTA? Seriously?

Additionally, may I suggest that you purchase a calendar to help you keep track of your obligations?[/QUOTE

See above.

Side Question to Site Admin: Why is this douche bag (aka zigner) trolling on my post/question unchecked? I mean, what kind of pitiful person tries to cheapen, a 'free' forum? Truly pitiful.

Anyone on this forum who has any USEFUL advice to offer, please do. As it would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

FlyingRon

You're wrong. 1214.1 doesn't say they have to give you 10 days before issuing the civil assessment, it says the civil assessment isn't EFFECTIVE (i.e., you're not obliged to pay it) until 10 days after the notice is given.

Nothing that happens in court on the 30th or later changes the fact that you weren't there on or before the 29th. You failed to appear. There is no defense to this and the state is disinclined to make exceptions for you. Sorry, but that's as useful as anybody can get.

nyameko

You're wrong. 1214.1 doesn't say they have to give you 10 days before issuing the civil assessment, it says the civil assessment isn't EFFECTIVE (i.e., you're not obliged to pay it) until 10 days after the notice is given.

I am sorry, but you are wrong. CA PC 1214.1 states that "The assessment shall not become effective until at least 10 days AFTER the court mails a warning notice to the defendant. ( I was never sent this warning. The notice I received was notice of 'Failure to Pay', and did not 'WARN' me of anything, it did not read the amount to be paid ($300 is the fine for a FTA. This letter however, stated that I had already OWED the Court $485 and since I had not PAID, I was in jeopardy of owing even more! I read it and I felt like I was being shaken down! The tone of the notice was 'You better pay up buddy! OR ELSE!'
The fact that this letter was sent nearly 2 years AFTER I had last appeared in Traffic Court on 10/3/11, at which time the Court instructed to pay $50 and ONLY $50, for Court fees related to the two dismissed ticket violations. Hence, my argument is based on the fact that Court FAILED to comply with CA PC 1214.1. AS it (the Traffic Court) FAILED to:

A. Send me any 'WARNING' notice.
B. Grant me the opportunity to "appear in 10 days and show good cause" or offer an explanation for my FTA. BTW, the cop didn't show up at the Trial either. Nor was a 'guilty' verdict ever entered.

Any person who reads my initial post in its entirety ought to understand that I AM NOT seeking advice to excuse or get out of the FTA. I believe that the Court failed to obey the law in its process of charging me with the FTA. Quite simply because the Court failed to adhere to the guidelines set forth in CA PC 1214 .1 (see below)

CA PC 1214.1 states CA PC1214.1b states:
HTML:
(b) The assessment shall not become effective until at least 10
calendar days after,the court mails a warning notice to the defendant
by first-class mail to the address shown on the notice to appear or
to the defendant's last known address. If the defendant appearsn
within the time specified in the notice and shows good cause for the
failure to appear or for the failure to pay a fine or installment of
bail, the court shall vacate the assessment.

The letter I received was not a 'warning notice' it was a notice of 'FAILURE TO PAY', and if I failed to pay $485.00 then another civil assessment shall be added! Hence, the $385 assessment was already charged before I received the single notification letter I got mid Jan 2013.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">