• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Flow in a Cul-De-Sac?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hansentw

What is the name of your state?Texas, San Antonio.
Got a parking ticket for parking against the flow of traffic in a cul-de-sac! Cannot find the legal definition for the direction of traffic flow in a cul-de-sac in Texas, help! Also, 2nd ticket same time was for parking farther than 18 inches from the curb. Cannot find any indication that parallel parking is required in a cul-de-sac.

Thanks,
Tom

H

hansentw

Got the handbook (thanks for the link to the PDF!), but it does not define direction of traffic flow in a cul-de-sac, which makes all the difference for both of these tickets.

HomeGuru

hansentw said:
A check box next to "parking against traffic flow"...?
**A: explain in what direction your car was parking in relation to the traffic flow. Was not your car parking in the opposite direction?

H

hansentw

That's exactly the point I am trying to make: If the "direction of traffic flow" in a cul-de-sac is not legally defined, then how can I be parked against it?

I was parked in front of my own house with my left wheels against the curb; the exact same way I have been doing for almost 3 years.

H

hansentw

But you are ASSUMING that the flow of traffic in a cul-de-sac is counterclockwise, and I am saying that nowhere can I find that fact legally defined. My car was not obstructing anything more that it would have been obstructing had it been faced the other way and I did not create a hazard by crossing traffic to park that way because there is no legal definition of two-way or one-way (or any-way) traffic in a cul-de-sac.

HomeGuru

hansentw said:
But you are ASSUMING that the flow of traffic in a cul-de-sac is counterclockwise, and I am saying that nowhere can I find that fact legally defined. My car was not obstructing anything more that it would have been obstructing had it been faced the other way and I did not create a hazard by crossing traffic to park that way because there is no legal definition of two-way or one-way (or any-way) traffic in a cul-de-sac.
**A: oh brother. Tell it to the judge. You're guilty. Maybe you need to give up your license if you do not know in what direction you should park your car. Do you drive in Germany?

H

hansentw

Been to Germany (lived there for 3 years) and you must be a little confused, because in Germany (and all of the rest of continental Europe) they drive on the right-hand side of the road. Don't you mean England?

(And I'm wondering why I am confused about the direction of traffic flow?)

Happy Trails

hansentw said:
**When you have your car facing traffic that should be coming in and staying to the right, you are creating a hazard. When you pull out you are going against traffic. These are simple rules that people must abide by in order to not have any confusion.

dequeendistress

Too late on the confusion part.

Present your case to the judge if you wish, but I am afraid you will be found guilty. Just out of curiousity, in what manner do you park your car since the citation? How do others living in the same area park their vehicles?

CdwJava

I would suspect that you are supposed to drive with your right wheels closest to the curb ... that would mean that if you parked in any other manner other than with those wheels near the curb, you could be cited for parking against the flow.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">