• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Ticket Collection for 7-year-old out of state ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhj1814

Back in 2004 I received a ticket for a 'no turn on red' in the Clark County, Nevada. By 2005, I moved to Michigan where I never had any issue getting a new license, etc. Now, in mid-2011 I reside and work in New York - but still have a MI driver's license. Yesterday, a collection agency called my parent's house in Michigan and are asking to speak with me.

What should I do? Why have I never received any notice about this before?

Thanks!

- What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

FlyingRon

Computers. Lots of these old uncollected citations are popping up in the system. Is there some particular reason you're breaking the law by not getting a NY license? They only give you a thirty day grace period.

jhj1814

Computers. Lots of these old uncollected citations are popping up in the system. Is there some particular reason you're breaking the law by not getting a NY license? They only give you a thirty day grace period.
No, no particular reason, I don't drive here and it was easier to just renew the MI one at the time.

What 30 day grace period are you referring to? Do I just have to pay or else they'll hurt my credit score/go after my wages?

Thanks. - j

FlyingRon

I'm talking about the requirement for you to get a license in NY within 30 days of establishing residence there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">