• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer title????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Slake

My Mom let my sister take her car to California so my sister could wrap up a few things before permanently moving back to Michigan. Now, it has become obvious, my sister is not coming back. There is little contact with her. My mom has repeatedly received parking tickets (that she has paid) but is at the point where she needs to just sign this vehicle over to my sister, which she is willing to do. The problem is my sister is living transient lifestyle with little contact and no address. My Mom is stressing over the obvious concern of liability. What are her options??? The vehicle is not worth much; my Mom just wants off the title, registration, etc.

justalayman

She can't relinquish ownership unless sister is willing to accept ownership. If you can't get hold of sister it just isn't happening.

justalayman

Mom should report the car as stolen, which it was, to both the police and her insurance company.
No it was not stolen. Permission was given. Until permission is withdrawn it continues.
Of course since they can't contact sister withdrawing permission is difficult.

At most, and even this is a stretch is unauthorized use of the car.

Just tossing this out there. I used to work for a motorcycle dealer. They had a guy test drive a motorcycle. They didn't give him a limit of time.

Trying to make this short; 6 weeks later they were still trying to get the bike back. Cops said since use was with permission the best they can do if they run across the guy is tell him the dealer has revoked permission and he needs to return it. After an opportunity to return it and not doing do, then they could treat it as stolen.

Last edited:

Silverplum

No it was not stolen. Permission was given. Until permission is withdrawn it continues.
Of course since they can't contact sister withdrawing permission is difficult.

At most, and even this is a stretch is unauthorized use of the car.
If you say so.

But I totally disagree. ;)

Slake

Thanks. We discussed using the stolen vehicle route. My mom just isn't quite ready (emotionally) to do that yet. Was hoping for an alternative method of getting name off vehicle

justalayman

Thanks. We discussed using the stolen vehicle route. My mom just isn't quite ready (emotionally) to do that yet. Was hoping for an alternative method of getting name off vehicle
Have her give the cops a call and ask them about it. I would put money on them telling mom it isn't stolen. I have actuslly know of similar situations. Permissive use cannot simply be converted to theft because the borrower hasn't returned it yet

But to pick on this s bit more;

When mom loaned the car, when did she tell her to return it by? Did she give her a definite period of time she could use the car?

Slake

Have her give the cops a call and ask them about it. I would put money on them telling mom it isn't stolen. I have actuslly know of similar situations. Permissive use cannot simply be converted to theft because the borrower hasn't returned it yet

But to pick on this s bit more;

When mom loaned the car, when did she tell her to return it by? Did she give her a definite period of time she could use the car?

There was never an explicit timeline. Only an implied one of about 2 months. Its now been about 5 months.

justalayman

There was never an explicit timeline. Only an implied one of about 2 months. Its now been about 5 months.
So she loaned the car with no time constraint other than we would like to see you back in a couple months:

I'm sticking with my statement the cops won't do a thing, especially since there was no limit imposed when lending the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">